Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First song you ever learned to play?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Velocimaniac, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    So, what's the first song you ever learned to play? The first one I ever learned to play was The Kids Aren't Alright by The Offspring...it's ridiculously easy.

Intro(let each note ring)
    A#, F#, C#, G#
    Three times

Verse
    A# x8
    F# x8
    C# x8
    G# x8
    Repeat

Chorus
    A# x8
    high f# x8
    C# x8
    G# x8
    repeat

Just keep doing that...easier than even a blink song but it's one of my favorite songs

2. On bass, I believe it was some Blink 182 song (yeah, I know, but we have to start somewhere don't we?).

I originally played guitar, but a band needed a bassist. I first learned to play Californication by RHCP on it.

3. New2Bass

New2Bass Guest

Aug 28, 2002
    California
    As ive said in the past, i am new to bass.I was just wondering what was YOUR first song that you learned (if u can remember) :D Thanx...

4. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    brainstew - greenday..

friend taught me 2 weeks ago in a guitar store

5. Mastesbasser

Mastesbasser

May 20, 2002
    elthough it wasnt quite right the first song i learne was Godsmack-alive:rolleyes: :D

6. mmm something of Blink. I thought it was all the small things or something like that

7. When I first got my first bass mybrother showed me how to play polly by nirvana

8. stray cat stut.... many many many years ago

9. Cocaine by Eric Clapton

Many, many moons, woodchucks, Cherry Cokes, and Hershey's w/Almonds ago.....

10. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I learnt song of/ode to joy on guitar, then the first thing on bass was enter sandman. I still have the tab sheet i printed it out on. Hmmm i should frame it. :D

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Pinch and roll - The aquabats
    :D
    I think I might have noodled around and done really simple three note ditties before this, but this was probably the first song I ever learned. still know it too, and I haven't listened to the aquabats in a long time.
    I still remember most of their lyrics though...weird.

12. First actual song was Chick Magnet by MxPx. Pretty easy, but still neat.

jtbp

13. hayngman

hayngman

Aug 20, 2002
    Wise County, TX
    I don't remember for sure but I think it was a Nirvana song.

14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing

A keyboarder friend and I decided to start a school band since there was no band at our school. I didn't even play bass at that time. There was a teacher who played guitar - he took us under his wing and he kinda decided it for me ("we need a bass - I can get you a bass and amp").

Since he was a great Mark Knopfler fan and had all his stuff down pat, this was an obvious choice for the first song. I had one week to learn it and I did it (on a borrowed P-copy and a tape recorder as an amp :eek: ).

This band was great! I met my best friend who got the drum slot and he was a great drummer even back then. We played all kinds of stuff, from Black Sabbath to Grand Funk Railroad to (German) pop stuff. Boy, I learned fast in that time. :)

15. Calm Like a Bomb by Rage Against the Machinel, learnt from the tab. First one i learnt by ear was Fat Lip by Sum-41.

sim

16. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I still remember this. It was "Where Eagles Dare" by Iron Maiden. Not the easiest song in the world to start with :)

17. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Brainstew - green day !

El---55---33---22---11---00
    :D :D :D

18. Smoke On The Water. Hey it was only three notes.

G A# C
    G A# C C
    G A# C A# G

Hehe.

19. Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal