1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First song you learned all the way through and how long did it take

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by scoopscallahan, Jun 28, 2011.

1. scoopscallahan

scoopscallahan

Jun 14, 2011
    I've been learning Welcome to the Jungle and I've been after it for about 2+ months. I'm about 2/3 of the way through and was wondering what other brand new players pick for their 1st song and how long it took them to get it down to a point where you can play along to the song and pull it off

2. Modern_Myth

Modern_Myth

May 18, 2011
    You really got me- The Kinks.

It literally took me 10 minutes...
    and it's SUCH a great song :p

3. nick_aua

nick_aua

Jun 3, 2011
    Greece
    "O Babis o Flou" ("Easy going Babis") By Pavlos Sidiropoulos
    YouTube - ‪

Great song and an easy one too. Took me about 2 hours to learn, but it felt great!

4. Blitzkrieg Bop about 15 minutes.

5. For Whom The Bell Tolls by Metallica, but I have no idea how long it took me

6. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Soul Man (Blues Brothers version), and it took about 15 minutes to get it down - but I had sheet music...

7. Love Me Do, and since I learned it on guitar in 1972 I can't even begin to remember how long it took me, probably not too long.

8. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    I learnt bits of lots of different songs originally, the first full song was Pretty Fly For A White Guy after a few weaks of playing.

9. Shadow of the Day - Linkin Park

probably took me a day

10. Outshined by Soundgarden. The actual bass playing wasn't too difficult, the hard part was remembering the different passages and the changes. Maybe took a couple days, this was 10 years ago.

11. Dustin Teel

Dustin Teel Guest

Jun 2, 2011
    Californication by Red Hot Chili Peppers. Don't remember how long it took, prob less than an hour.

12. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    House of the Rising Sun....3 minutes

13. BassNut93

BassNut93

May 29, 2011
    Money-it took me around 5 min or so ( also one of my very first songs )

14. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    How old were you guys when you started and how did you figure the songs out? By ear, tab, instruction...etc.

House of the Rising Sun,
    10 years old,
    by ear

15. zephyr_words

zephyr_words

Aug 12, 2009
    Virginia
    Closing Time by Semi-sonic. Had just got my first bass for Christmas and let me tell you, that song was tough to play =D

Cool thing looking back on it is that it taught me immediately about Octaves on the bass and the pentatonic scale.

Don't remember how long it took. Not too long.

16. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Lay Down Sally - Eric Clapton.

Probably about 30 minutes. I had never played bass before.

17. Actium

Actium

Jan 15, 2011
    I learned 3 songs on my first day playing bass.

Creep by Radiohead
    Only in Dreams by Weezer
    Mystic Invasion off the Secret of Mana soundtrack. (nerd yea)

Because I knew nothing about the instrument the most time consuming part was actually finding where the notes are. Not so much playing them.

18. mjbing

mjbing

May 5, 2005
    Western Oklahoma
    All Blues (Miles)
    2 days

19. opening theme to Hawaii 5 0 1960 something. Theme music composer Morton Stevens
    learned it for a school concert I 9 years old 4 ft nothing standing on a stool, upright bass hard to remember 5 months I think?

20. Johnius

Johnius

Dec 5, 2007
    "Down on the Corner" by CCR. For a first song it's got an easy tempo but still moves and the chords are easy. Plus it's just a good song (imo).