1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First song you learned all the way through and how long did it take

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by scoopscallahan, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    To the OP, I wouldn't compare myself to the responses here. I'm going to guess that some people are either lying, or they're not playing the songs correctly or well. There are some very unrealistic claims being made for a first song that someone learned.

As for me, the first song I learned on bass was Teentown. Took me about 15 minutes. Maybe 20.

Also, to the OP, while you're working on Welcome to the Jungle, it might serve you well to work on some other easier material. Maybe do a search for simplest basslines. Songs like Blitzkrieg Bop, Money, With or Without You, 7 Nation Army, etc. It will help train your ear, help you learn to learn, and also build your confidence. Welcome to the Jungle, if played correctly, is not one of the easier songs to learn on bass.

2. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    First song I ever learned all the way through was DEATH - Lack of Comprehension. This was long before Tabs and such, so it took me all of August and September 1996 after school. The hardest part was building right hand speed to play it fingerstyle.

3. BS&T Spinning Wheel (Album version)... 5 hours.

4. I said my first song took me a few months, and while it's true that it was that long before I could play ANY song note for note, the first song I was able to play in a band took all of 5 minutes. (It was just 4 chords that looped over and over).

5. TombassCaton

TombassCaton

May 4, 2011
    Shrewsbury
    Iron Maiden - The Wickerman

6. kuys

kuys

Jun 29, 2010
    Fist - Deftones - about 15 minutes.

I learned the rest of the album in about a day. This was guitar and this was many years after I started playing. I was very comfortable on my instrument by then.

I was one of those people that picked up the instrument and just played for years without ever learning a song or theory/scale/music.

I don't believe I know any "true" bass parts. I usually just listen to the song the band is playing and find the key(s) and go. If it's an iconic bass line (Is there any in 90's radio rock? ) and I know how it sounds I'll cop the feel if not the exact notes.

7. Actium

Actium

Jan 15, 2011
    The songs I picked were really easy. The already simple basslines repeat for the majority of the song and there aren't many changes. That Weezer one is like 7m of the same thing with a tempo increase at the end, that's it really.

8. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Hotel California, about 15 minutes.

The question is potentially skewed, though -- how much music background, if any, have you had before starting on the bass?

9. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    In fairness, I don't think anyone is claiming flawless perfection on a song within the first 15 minutes of playing a bass.

In my own case, Hotel California is a pretty basic song on bass. But...

I was 17 when I picked up a bass guitar for the first time and figured out how to play it. From ages 8 to 11, I took cello lessons. I was new to the bass, but not completely new to musical instruments.

I think a little more full disclosure would probably indicate a few less prodigies than this thread currently seems to depict.

10. eekmeg

eekmeg

Aug 15, 2008
    Texas
    Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House.

1 week, at approximately two hours a day, till near flawless, by ear. Had been playing bass for one month. No prior musical instrument experience.

It really pissed off my mom because I learned it off of her 45 she had from teaching jazzercise.

I still love that song.

11. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Jeremy by Pearl Jam. Wasn't on a fretless, but whatever.

I was 15, took about 20 minutes for the vast majority of it, the changes took maybe another 15.

Learned by ear.

12. Hmmm....by the time my dexterity on the Bass was together and I started to understand where on the FB I was going, I started to want to learn tunes. Before that, I remember really working on Major scales and discovering how to play octaves which in turn helped me identify notes on the FB. Of, course, I couldn't explain it then as I am now, but never-the-less, I think my first tunes were "I Just Wanna Make Love to You" and "Fool For the City" by FogHat. I remember learning "Feels Like the First Time" by Foreigner and bringing "Sweet Emotion" by AeroSmith into my lessons along with some Doobie Brothers, like "China Grove" and "Long Train Running". Thanks for the question. Those are some great memories. It makes me realize how far I have come in the past 34 years. Now I am working on Eddie Gomez Solos, Ray Brown Solos/Basslines, Oscar Pettiford stuff. It's a long never ending beautiful Bass journey! I hope you stay on it!

13. catyak

catyak

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. A couple of hours.

14. velalv

velalv Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    I have to admit I find the anecdotes here pretty amazing. I have been playing for a year and have other bass players tell me I'm very good for someone who is only about a year into it. I started on John Lennon's imagine using the hal leonard supplements to their bass methods. It took me two days to get through the song, and it had simple whole notes, no line per se. I have been following that series closely and now play songs that are still pretty easy for folks here, like heard it through the grapevine, ain't no mountain high enough, and crazy train.

I can't practice for hours on end, given child responsibilities, a job with long hours, etc. Usually half hour a night. Dont give up though, you'll get there.

15. ii-v

ii-v

Mar 27, 2005
    SLC, UT
  16. funkstag

funkstag

Jun 30, 2010
    New Zealand
    Holiday by Green Day :| gross band and song

17. "Its the same old song"- The Four Tops

Took probably 30 minutes or so. I actually learned how to play that song before I learned how to play bass.

Steve

18. mrsal

mrsal

Jul 14, 2011
    well my brother used to teach me songs because for some reason he can wrap his head around them pretty easily, but the first song that i learned on my own would be as i am by dream theater

19. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    high school football hero afi

20. Dawn patrol by megadeth it took me under a minute (i had been a bass player for a while and stick to learning riffs that r quick and sound amazing) my next one was anesthesia in about 10 hours haha)