1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First song you learned all the way through and how long did it take

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by scoopscallahan, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Katfish Krow

Katfish Krow

Jun 7, 2011
    Hawaii
    Im still a beginner (as in only been playing about 4-5 months, a week or 2 before Easter is when I first plucked a string) still learning how to read music, do scales (which I am lazy about practicing) and various other beginner stuff...that being said..

Besides songs I play in church (which I usually end up muddling through best I can) first "regular" song I played through fairly flawlessly was the Animals "House of the Rising Sun"....took me about 35 minutes, no sheet music, just by ear (and confirming the notes via Songsterr) the bassline is fairly simple, only about 6 notes and they are all whole notes lol. I now play a slight variation on it using Sixteen and dotted half notes.

Next songs on the list are STP's "Creep" and Stings "Message in a bottle" both of which I can currently play without too many flubs but by no means flawless.

2. Justbleazy

Justbleazy

Apr 3, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Since I was familiar with electric guitar and have played the piano pretty much all my life, I was able to learn 3 songs in one night as well.

Marvin Gaye- Make Me Want to Holla
    Staple Sisters-I'll Take You There
    Rick Ross-Here I Am

:bassist::bassist::bassist:

I do know how to play these songs on the piano so I would match my left hand bass notes to the notes on the bass guitar so I was able to learn rather quickly.

3. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Are you interested in getting good? Or not?

4. Down From The Sky - Trivium took me about a week or so (I usually just learn neat bass lines not whole songs but I've been playing since August)

5. StKevin

StKevin

Jul 10, 2011
    Red Oak, TX
    "Tyler" by the Toadies. It took me about 2 hours to get it down. First thing I learned the day I bought my first bass. Remembering the parts was easy. Getting my hands to sync up together and then with my brain was a beating though.

6. Katfish Krow

Katfish Krow

Jun 7, 2011
    Hawaii
    Heh I know where your going with that, and your absolutely right. If I want to get proficient on the bass, I NEED to practice scales. That will go a long way more than just being able to "play" a few songs. I can play Guitar Hero to do that lol.

I have the general concept of them down, but yeah daily practice is key. Its like doing Kata in Martial Arts. Even if you can do pretty kicks and punches, if you can't do the kata, you can't get a new belt :ninja:

7. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    I'll tell you what helped me out tremendously at the very beginning. Keep your bass plugged into your amp at all times, and have a guitar stand for your bass. Then, if you have three spare minutes, you can spend 2:45 of them actually playing, without spending any time digging your bass case out from wherever it is, taking your bass out, plugging and strapping it in, etc.

And if you haven't already figured this out, scales can be challenging. Do them cleaner, work on pinky strength, whatever. Scales don't have to be boring.

8. cupcake

cupcake

Apr 4, 2011
    Finland
    First song I learned all the way through was Stir it up by Bob Marley & the Wailers.... took about an hour. Easy line, fun to play

9. Dellers

Dellers

Nov 7, 2006
    Norway
    I think the first one might have been I Wish or Smoke On The Water. Actually I think I knew how to play I Wish before I actually got my first bass. Smoke On The Water probably took some more time, but I can't remember how long. The solo part is awesome on the bass, but it's also quite much harder than I Wish.

10. OldDude420

OldDude420

Jun 10, 2011
    i learned twinkle twinkle little star in about 5 minutes lol. got bored so i plyed it backwards into my wmv recorder, set it to play backwards, added echo, then i then went to Ujam.com and edited it. lotsa fun

11. ratlinbonez

ratlinbonez

Mar 28, 2010
    Blue Jean Blues by ZZTOP. Seemed very easy to figure out by ear to me and was a huge boost to my confidence when I played it.

12. MrGotBass

MrGotBass

Jul 28, 2009
    Sunshine of Your Love by Cream. Probably took me the better part of an afternoon.

13. germ_77

germ_77

Jul 16, 2011
    Forming by the germs, no idea how long but probably only took a few minutes.

14. jet_king

jet_king

Jul 31, 2009
    Chicago,IL
    la grange - zz top, 2 days. first time i had been in a bass playing situation

15. "Everyday People," though it was in a different key, wasn't in time, and I didn't realize I was playing it.

16. bazthai

bazthai

Jul 19, 2011
    Pattaya
    Hey Hey My My, took me about an hour to get it down, first time i have ever played an instrument, now love it

17. c4lvint1me

c4lvint1me

Jul 7, 2011
    seven nation army took me 30 min

18. nightwulf

nightwulf

Feb 27, 2011
    Edmonds Wa
    Don't feel bad...my first was Imagine, by John Lennon...it's stupid easy, it only took me about ten minutes before I could play along with the music, but I'd been playing for about five months by that time...up till then, I'd just been learning parts of songs...(I was trying to get Bouree all the way through...bit of a tough one to start with:bassist:)

19. nightwulf

nightwulf

Feb 27, 2011
    Edmonds Wa
    I guess you could count that as a song:) If so, Imagine was my second:)

20. nightwulf

nightwulf

Feb 27, 2011
    Edmonds Wa
    LOL, I second that...and to make scales fun, turn them into a groove...they don't HAVE to be a string of quarter notes:)