1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First song you learned all the way through and how long did it take

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by scoopscallahan, Jun 28, 2011.

1. I didn't pick the song so much as the song (and instrument) picked me. I was learning guitar and asked a friend to show me the intro to For Whom The Bell Tolls (MetallicA). He shows me and I say "No, the high part". He responds by handing me a bass and telling me I want one of these, then showed it to me.

Apart from the intro and getting the timing right (being new to the instrument not because its a hard song timing wise) its not a difficult song and I learned the notes and structure in about a day or two. To play it note for note accurately against the recording probably took a few months but it was so long ago I can't really recall.

I do remember it taking over a year before I could even badly jam along with Master of Puppets, and there are some MetallicA songs today I still haven't gotten around to learning correctly, despite "wanting" to at "some point", AND having owned the official transcriptions for the first 5 Metallica albums for over 15 years now...oh, and I still can't read bass clef either, despite "wanting" to at "some point"... :D

Surely one day I'll fall into the wanting hole and land at some point :D :D

2. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Sunshine of Your Love, I think. Not sure how long it took. Still love to jam along to that track before I do anything else.

3. When Your Heart Stops Beating by +44.
    I do vocals for our "band", and I've been playing the bass for about a month or two. I'm still working on singing and playing at the same time without falling off time.

4. tminus10

tminus10 On a mission from God Supporting Member

May 1, 2011
    Seattle
    I took it pretty slow. Learned Blues songs first. Crosscut and crossfire were the two first ones. Once you know the 12 bar progression, you know the whole song.

So the first song I learned from beginning to end I think was "A Hard Days Night" Then started learning alot of 50s rock songs.

5. scoopscallahan

scoopscallahan

Jun 14, 2011
    I can now officially play WTTJ all the way through. I still struggle with the fills over the 2nd guitar solo and the bass solo right after that, but I can struggle through it. I can adequately play along with the CD. It took about 3 months.

On another note I found a website called How To Play Bass run by a gentleman by the name of Paul Wolfe. He teaches by teaching songs not scales and theory. Anyway, the 1st song he teaches is "Sex on Fire" by Kings of Leon. I had it down by the end of one day. I guess Duff's stuff can be a little difficult and the 3 months of working on that helped me learn a less difficult song more quickly.

At the end of the day there is no substitute for fingers on strings.

6. myauntdidLSD

myauntdidLSD

Aug 8, 2011
    Last Caress- Misfits; 6 hours straight.

7. Byron92

Byron92

Aug 21, 2011
    Guns N' Roses - My Michelle

Interpol - Obstacle 1

Velvet Revolver - Set Me Free

Rage Against The Machine - Killing in the Name Of...

Metallica - No Remorse

Can't remember which song I learned first..... I have noticed that when I'm really into my bass playing and learning new songs, techniques, etc. i lose track of time.. could it be that I put my heart into it instead of my mind? Yes I know that sounded cheesy but I just had to share that to all the fellow Bass Players in here!!

Woop.

8. DLKasim

DLKasim

Oct 13, 2009
    It was probably Everything Zen by Bush, time was an hour or so.

9. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    I switched from keyboards to bass some 6 months ago (after some 20 years of keys I figured I wanted to give strings a shot), and I believe the first song I learned end-to-end was Californication. It must have taken me around a week or so to learn and memorize well. After that I learnt "Under the bridge", and it took me also a few days.

After that it could have been U2's "One", Neil Young's "Rockin' in the free World", or Dylan's "All along the watchtower".

10. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Enter Sandman. Learned it the first day. But I had played DB years earlier, so...

11. Limadito

Limadito

Mar 5, 2011
    Argentina
    Every breath you take, The Police

12. Chavodel8

Chavodel8

Mar 10, 2012
    Mine was also Sunshine of your love, from Cream. Jack Bruce makes really good lines in the Cream's albums. I had 12 years. It is also easy to play along with music. It took me about 10 minutes.

13. Twobass

Twobass

Aug 12, 2009
    Another One Bites The Dust

14. funkybass4ever

funkybass4ever

Dec 12, 2007
    Wrathchild from Iron Maiden by ear and What Youre Doing by Rush from ear both within a few weeks. Sometimes I can get a song faster by ear than reading notation This is an old but important thread because we all remember our first musical victories !

15. 48 years old. By ear. Of course, I started learning bass when I was 48. :)

The first song I plucked out by ear was "A Forest." It took a lot longer to learn the groove than it took to learn the notes.

16. Jumper by Third Eye Blind. Learned it in about 15 minutes. Still took me another day or two to really get it down.

17. First rock song, guitar : Gloria by Van Morrison
    First bass song: Rock Me Baby, Jeff Beck's version of the blues standard.
    My classically trained parents would drop their head into hands and wonder, "Where did we go wrong? "