Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

first song

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by twiggy, Jun 1, 2001.

1. twiggy

twiggy Guest

Apr 27, 2001
    nc
    hey guys/girls what was the very first song you learned to play when you started playing bass? i know i will get bashed for this but the one i am trying to pick up is i put a spell on you.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The first one, (kind of foggy over time), was, "Out of Limits" a guitar instrumental when instrumental groups like the Ventures were big. There's really nothing to that bass line, so the first one that took some proficiency was, "Walk Don't Run," by the Ventures.

No bashing from me. "I Put a Spell on You" has a very cool, dark, thundering, walking bassline. I immediately think of Tommy Shannon when I hear that style. Boy, that song is beautifully gloomy!

3. The first song I learned was "Self Esteem" by the Offspring. Unfortunatly though, I overplayed it so much that I get sick whenever I hear it now. >_<

4. Iron Man, It takes a few minutes to learn and everyone recognizes it, some more good ones for you are, superfreak,pretty woman,or anything by greenday that stuff's pretty easy. Sorry all you greenday fans, but you have to admit it that guy plays some pretty easy stuff.
    example= ON E 55 33 22 11 0 that's like every green day song there is.

5. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    Probably some metallica, "For Whom The Bell Tolls" I think.

6. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    My first was Hello Time Bomb, so easy and yet it kicks so much ass.

7. yes, SOME pretty easy stuff. but the example you cited is not at all representative of dirnt's best playing. how about 'when i come around'? those pulloffs and hammer-ons make for a very interesting and catchy line. and longview, of course, has one of the best lines in the history of mainstream music.

to answer the question, mine was probably "smells like teen spirit" :D

8. Ahhhhhhhhh!
    I remeber it like it was yesterday! (it was three monthes ago hehe)

Only in Dreams by Weezer

Beautiful, Simple, and most importantly Easy enough for me to learn on the first day I had my bass : )

9. bumpcity

bumpcity

May 12, 2001
    NYC
    Freewill by Rush. I loved that tune!

10. That's pretty ambitious, I learned that later on. My first was No Rain, by Blind Melon.

11. nymph

nymph

Mar 16, 2001
    Bucyrus Ohio
    Metallica's "Creeping Death" great song

12. my first was metallica's "enter sandman"

i was such a crazy kid when i first picked up bass........

13. that song is called "brain stew" and it just so happens to be the first one i learned and i think its a great song so **** off!

14. well, this has been asked before...

but mine is probably smells like teen spirit... can´t remember though... maybe it was smoke on the water....

but the first song I played on guitar (my brother´s electric) was Prodigal Son by Iron Maiden... and then I hadn´t started playing bass... THAT was hard! :)

15. Fatboy_Jim

Fatboy_Jim

Oct 25, 2000
    Mine first couple (can't remember the exact order) by ratm - Guerrilla Radio, Bullet in the head and Kick out the jams. those were my first three songs i think
    Seeya
    Dermot

16. the first songs i learned were all ratm, know your enemy, guerilla radio, ghost of tom jode, stuff like that but directly after that i learned around the world,rhcp, and power mad, primus

17. Badge by Cream
    Little red riding hood by Sam the Sham
    and
    I put a spell on you by CCR was on the list also

18. It was probably the main riff from Mission Impossible or Smoke On The Water. Then I learned Come As You Are. I suppose the biggest breakthrough for me was the intro to 'Bombtrack' by RATM, or Longview, with hammer-ons.

19. My first one was, pathetically enough, Peter Gunn. That is, of course, if you count 5 notes as a song. ;)

20. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    My first song was Happy Birthday - I managed to work it out myself, which was impressive at the time. Apart from that, it would have been either My Girl, or She Bangs The Drums by the Stone Roses.