1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Song

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by guitarrock24, Aug 29, 2008.

1. guitarrock24

guitarrock24

Oct 18, 2007
    Whats was your guy's first full song you learned on bass. Mine was Electric Funeral by Black Sabbath.

2. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    With or Without You by U2. I still like that bassline, despite how simple it is.

3. "Durango 95" by The Ramones.

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    We Gotta Get Out Of This Place - The Animals

5. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Otherside - RHCP

6. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I played in a band that did all originals from the time I was 12 until my senior year in high school, so there were tons of songs I learned that none of y'alls have ever heard of. First cover tune that I learned was "What's The Ugliest Part Of Your Body?" by Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention, followed by "Breezin'" by George Benson.

7. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    dazed and confused.

followed immediately by WAR PIGS!!!

8. christmetal

christmetal

Aug 21, 2008
    if i recall correctly, im pretty sure it was 94 hours by As I Lay Dying
    but i could be wrong

9. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Badge - Cream

10. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Louis Prima - Buona Sera

:)D)

It was the first song with walking bass I had to play for a show I did when I still was very new on bass. I memorized the whole bassline as I didn't know how to improvise a walking bass line, and the original line is pretty cool.

In that same show, we also did "Shake Your Tailfeather" by Blues Brothers, a few samba songs, some Elvis and a lot more... Just didn't transcribe them as carefully as I did with Buona Sera. The whole show was pretty challenging for me as a newbie on bass, having played bass only a couple of months.

11. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    AC/DC - Back in Black
    Black Sabbath - Trashed

Then I tried my hand at The Firm's Radioactive. I never could get that 'mwah' sound from my bass like Tony Franklin did. ;) I didn't know it was a fretless!

12. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I was playing guitar and singing in a band in college and our bass player, who shared lead vocal duties with me, wanted one song he could go out front and sing without playing also. He had spiky blond hair (it was the mid 1980's) so he wanted to do a Billy Idol song. So I got to play bass on Dancing With Myself.

The first time we did it the building had a power outage in the middle of that song. Our drummer never stopped playing, turned it into into a drum solo, the power came back on in a few minutes, we picked up where we left off, and got a huge hand for just going with the flow. Scary, but it turned out great.

13. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    Fleetwood Mac - The Chain

14. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    For electric bass guitar; "Go To the Mirror" - The Who - Tommy

15. Arsenal_Fierce

Arsenal_Fierce

May 28, 2008
    Chicago
    Flagpole Sitta - Harvey Danger

I really wanted to learn their song "Terminal Annex" but couldn't find music or a tab for it anywhere. There were, however, 80 trillion tabs for this song.

16. Good Vibrations by the Beach Boys

17. alapantera

alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
    "Elephant Riders" by Clutch

18. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    LOL heck of a combination there! Were they both for the same band?

My first song on bass was an original song by a guy named Dave, who played bass in my band. But on his songs, he played guitar. So I tried his Hofner Beatle bass, and I liked it. A lot. And the band actually sounded good for a change. :p

Thanks, Dave, wherever you are now. I owe you, big time.

19. Either Starlight or Hysteria, I can't remember at the moment. Both by Muse.

20. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    On bass:

Either Dirty Water - The Standells