1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

first stack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by th30nlyAket, Aug 21, 2012.

1. th30nlyAket

th30nlyAket

Sep 24, 2010
    Looking something that is punchy and good enought for a church style environment. Think a 2x10 cab with a tube amp or hybrid. 1000ish budget

2. Why non solid state? You will have to go used to get a tube head and cab in that budget.

Personally I recommend you check out a Portaflex 350/500, and a PF-115.

3. th30nlyAket

th30nlyAket

Sep 24, 2010
    I don't like the portaflex its one of the few I tried and I like the tube sound better if I can get one. Used is fine. Thanks for imput. I accidentally pmed you sorry

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I second the "no tube amp" comment; in the environment you will be playing, having a good, reliable, deep, solid tone is important, which indicates a great solidstate amp, which has much better control of a speaker due to it's much higher damping factor. BTW, this is only one of many possible reasons for not using a tube amp in church.

Tube amp Tube amp Tube amp Tube amp Tube amp Tube amp Tube amp Tube amp Tube amp Tube amp Tube amp Tube amp Tube amp Tube amp Tube amp

Not non solid state! :meh:

5. Split the difference and go with a Hartke LH500 head-tube preamp with SS output section. They go for a tad over $300 new, which will leave room in the budget for a very nice speaker cab, spare cables, etc.

6. th30nlyAket

th30nlyAket

Sep 24, 2010
    I do I hybrid.... I've liked the gk hybrid

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/damptoole.htm

OP could get an old bassman, get it refurbished, get a small cab for it, and have a little change left out of his $1200.

Last I checked, God didn't have anything against tube amps.:D

8. Wanna bet? Every single tube amp that's died on me has been in a skanky bar. Never blew up anything in a church gig. Ha! :p

9. So G-K MB Fusion (a REAL three tube preamp) and a NEO210 or 210MBE G-K cab.