First steps

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Endow, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Endow

Jan 28, 2006
    Okay with so many forums and subforums I don't even know if this is the correct place in which to post this thread m but I just wanted to knwo if you guys could help me out...

Okay I'm a big music fan (specially prog rock/metal) and I told myself I had to start playing an intrument.Since I always like bass and since I don't know that much people who know how to play it I decided it might be a good choice.

So what I wanna know is how I should start.I heard from a friend that it's best to start by learning acoustic guitar.Is that true?

Also is there around here(or anywhere else on the net) that could help me do it?At this point I'm not really considering bass lessons.I wanted to learn it for myself as far as I could.

Thanks in advance :)
  2. No. It's best to start by learning bass. There's no reason to mess around with guitars until you develop an inteterest in them.

Wheat's Bass Book is a good online resource. I don't have time to find its address, but you can google for it or wait for someone else to post it. And Talkbass itself is a great resource as well. Someone here knows pretty much anything you might need to know.
  3. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Get a Bass. Make some sounds. Find a teacher. Cop some lines off recordings. Meet other musicians and form a band. Record. Cash your checks. Live well.

Of course all that may take a while...but what else is there to do anyway?

Here's that website. Best of luck. Keep asking questions (I really mean that).