1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First String Purchase

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FatboyJ115, May 3, 2015.

1. Bought new strings today!:bassist:

I worked 4 hours Saturday and got $25, so naturally (I've noticed my bass hasn't sounded as good, I assumed it's the strings) I bought some new strings. (Skip to the end* of you don't want to read the story)

I told the music store guy, (after he asked me what kind of music I played) that I wanted to spend no more than $20. He showed me two options.
    Power Slinky Bass Nickel Wound - Bass Guitar Strings | Ernie Ball

D'Addario Strings : XL Nickel Round Wound : EXL160BT Nickel Wound, Balanced Tension Medium, 50-120

I didn't know which to pick, he offered to lower the Ernie's to $20 even, (including tax) and he said the D'addarios would be a little over 20 but he'd see what he could do. I would've went for for the D'addarios but my mom knew I needed the other $5 for something else. So she would've had to helped pay and I know she would've but I didn't want her to.

*Long story short, I bought the Ernie Ball ones but for future reference, what should I have done if I have the money? I know about the difference in Gauge but either way I would've had to have the nut re-done. I plan on writing music in B Standard since I've realized all 5 strings feel extremely uncomfortable in my hands.

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Congrats on your first set of strings! That is always a fun time :)

The strings he suggested are the most common for a music store to have in stock and are pretty much what you see on an "electric bass" in any music store on the wall.

So to fine tune your selection, let us know what music you play or what kind of sound you like to hear...

If staying within a particular budget is what you prefer to choose your string tone there are many different types of strings you can get other than "Nickel Plated Steel" for under your budget amount.

It also sounds like you are playing a 4-String and intend to tune it BEAD, you can do this by purchasing a 5-String set and ditching the G-String or purchasing singles.

Need a little more information and you will get more answers:

IE: I Play a 4-String and want to tune B-Standard. I want a big bottom end with clear brilliant highs. What are my options?

3. Yeah I had planned on doing that whenever I get the money to afford a better set. Today was just to get something new on there.

I'd prefer them to be around $20, since I don't have a stable flow of cash still. But that would change hopefully this summer.
    I play "aggressive" style music as everybody on here seems to call it.
    So I assume something that sounds bright, and cuts through. What would you recommend?

Better? :D

4. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Yes that works.

Getting a 4-String set under $20 no problem at all! TONS of stuff available.

Now, getting a 4-String B E A D set under $20 that can be a problem as Low-B strings alone can be $12...

5. Hmm. Well for now lets just say I don't have a budget.
    I mean. I've read 3-4 months is how often I should change them. So I could save up more in that time if I had actually tried.

6. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    What tuning are you using? You still have not been clear about it?

7. Right now standard, but I'm more asking for future reference when I want to tune to B standard.

8. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    You aren't really going to have a set that will work in both E standard and B standard on a long scale... One will be floppy and the other tuning will be super tight.

There are about 20 different sets under $20 that will work for you in E-Standard. B standard for a wider variety you will need to bump it up to a different price point.

9. I planed on owning two instruments at the time of switching between the two. So I'm pretty much just asking for a good B Standard set that sounds aggressive.

10. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Rotosound Rs66 stainless steel are really aggressive.
    I heard goood things about DR stainless strings (but they are $$$)
    D'addario and Ernie Ball are a good starting point - I've heard great things about the ernie ball low b but haven't had the pleasure of trying it yet.

Mattrill likes this.
  11. Since your budget is a bit tight, you may want to take into consideration the longevity of the strings you
    purchase. A lot of roundwounds don't last very long and go dead pretty quick. The best for longevity in a
    non coated string that I have used has been Blue steels. I have a set on a bass that still sound fresh at close to a year. Never came close with anything else except for coated strings. And they have a nice aggressive tone.
    They are not that expensive either, around 20.00 or so. Another option is flatwounds that get better with age
    but are not known to be very aggressive, although i'm hearing a few things about Ernie Ball Cobalt flats.
    Its advertised as having a sound like rounds but smooth with less finger noise. The jury is still out on those.
    Also consider ordering from basstringsonline.com. Can save some money and great customer service.

12. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

yes to buying from Jason at bassstringsonline, even if you're NOT on a budget.

Can I ask why you want to write in B standard?

I ask because they will be the hardest strings to find cheaply

13. Mattrill

Mattrill facebook.com/dayshazy

Feb 20, 2015
    London
    second that on the RS66's great strings, but if you're like me, someone who has sweaty hands, their zing won't last longer than a month if you play a lot.

flats........ on the other hand last forever and sound better as they age :roflmao:

in the long run flats look pricey to start with but are a lot more efficient than rounds :bassist: