Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

first Sunday with the new rig

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dunamis, Apr 24, 2005.

1. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I just got the new programmable SansAmp and an ART Tube Pac preamp/compressor. We play without amps, and before I was using a SansAmp SABDDI and a compressor with an XLR out as a DI.

I can't stress enough how much difference the Tube Pac made in my sound. Much better punch, and cuts the mix through like never before. I had a lot of positive comments from band members and those in attendance. Even my wife commented (she never does that!).

Before, I had the SansAmp level cranked and had the xlr output boost on. This morning I had the level at 1/2 and the xlr pad engaged (-20dB). The sound man said he had good gain at the board input.

I think the differences is that i'm not using thre SansAmp as a preamp to provide the gain needed at the board, but as an effect to provide mic'd amp emulation. The tube pre on the front end of the Tube Pac provides plenty of punch (up to +40dB!) to saturate the 2nd tube, which is in the compressor section. The output pot can then be used to set the overall gain back to a the desired input level at the board.

Based on this, I think anyone going DI with a SansAmp should consider adding a seperate pre. The Tube Pac was only $100-- the best $100 I ever spent sound-wise!

Matt

2. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Very interesting. I am using the same set up (minus the tube pre) and I seem to not b egetting the volume I should out of my amp. Maybe I do need to add a preamp.