First sweaty post.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by APF, Jul 14, 2004.

1. APF

Jul 14, 2004
    After a long show I would assume that everyone gets sweaty and sticky. you guys wipe down your bodies and neck's (of your basses :p) before you pack it up? Will our body sweat ruin the finish of the bass (overtime?). Will our sweaty palms ruin the neck (overtime?). Just wondering what you guys do.

BTW, This is my first post here...You guys ROCK! go bass...
  2. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas

I keep a washcloth in my case to wipe the strings and fretboard. Getting the sweat off the strings will really help them last longer. (No, I don't use a washcloth on the body, something softer for that, like a polishing cloth.) I don't think your sweat will hurt the finish. But it is easier to clean off while it's still wet rather than when it's dried into sticky gunk.
  3. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I believe sweat can ruin the finish. Just get one of those cleaning clothes that companies makes for guitars/basses. I have a fender one and I like it, gets the job done, keeps my bass shiny and clean.
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Pfft.. I have genetically engineered myself so I don't sweat much. :cool:
  5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The acids and fluids of sweat and the dirt stuck into it will make it feel grimy and can had a bad effect on the finish, but where you should wipe the most is the strings - strings loose their fresh tone quickly because of the stuff that gets into it...

I rub down the main contact areas and the strings everytime before i put my bass in its bag for the night after a day's playing
  6. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I have my groupies lick it off. ;)
  7. :D

I'll sometimes wipe the body a bit with my shirt between songs, and give it a thorough polishing the next day. I don't know if it hurts the finish but I hate the feel of dried sweat stuck to my bass.
  8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Sweat helps acheive that sought after relic look. :rolleyes:
  9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

my friend (also a bassit) has terrible sweat problems, his music teacher told him that he had acid sweat, hehe. his strings get ruined so quickly that i never let him use my bass cuz hes just gonna ruin my strings.
  10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Beautiful . . . downright beautiful . . . . ;)