Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First time auditioning for a band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I am a newbie bass player, I have been noodling for almost a year and I just started taking lessons. I only recently learned the neck and all that. I've been wanting to join a band forever, and my sister's boyfriend tells me that there is a good local Metal/Punk band looking for a bass player. I'm not sure if they gig or what, but I want to atleast try to play with them.

What should I do? Should I just root note 8ths to whatever the guitarist is playing? I can't make up anything fancy, and I'm not that good. Should I just be confident? How do auditions usually go down? Should I not worry about it and just try my best not to sound lame? :(

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

Just be confident with what you know and play the way you know how to play. If you're only comfortable playing the root motion and octaves, then just do that. Dont try to play what you dont know.

You should get a copy of their song list or at the very least, ask them what songs they'd like you to know for the audition. before even going to the audition. Then bust your butt learning them.

Auditions go like this: You are expected to know your part when you get there, no if's ands or butts about it. If you dont, then you dont get the gig. If you do, then you still may not get the gig, they may find someone who does a better job, but your chances are much better if you nail your parts.

Be polite. manners go a long way, you could be a virtuoso, but if your a pain in the butt to work with, then most people will go with someone nicer with lesser talent.

BE EARLY!!!

3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Although informative, not really GI type informative...... Let's go to Misc.

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist: