First time bass purchase

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BulbousMoses, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Hi , I'm a noob when it comes to bass. Been playing guitar for years but I want to "come over to the dark side" as it were. I have almost no budget at the moment but I could pick up a Samick Corsair 1 to learn on. I see good things being said about the SX bass line on here but unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to try one before buying and in addition, I live in Canada so it would be a bit of a hassle if I had to return it for any reason. Can anyone comment on the Samick brand and whether it would be a decent instrument to learn on. I can pick one up new here for $170.00 CAD. If the bass was well put together, I could always upgrade the hardware and pickups eventually as a kind of "project". Happy to be a TB member!

2. I'm sure if any Samick users read this - they would have gave you they're thoughts. Really you should try out as much stuff as you can before deciding. There are many factors/choices. Personally I'm an Ibanez fan because I thrive on SR4 narrow/thin necks plus they just sound/play good.

3. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Samick, like any budget brand, will be hit and miss. My local music store had a few. They were decent, not great, not poor. If you need to get your hands on something to play on the cheap and you feel that's your best option go for it.

I can say with confidence that a Samick bass would be better than no bass.:hyper:

4. Rudyboy98

Rudyboy98

Jan 25, 2008
    South Bay, CA
    Scratch the Samick and get a Squier Fender bass. They're a heck of a lot better! I remember getting my first Samick 5 string and turned around and got a Washburn 5 string. The Washburn wasn't the best...but it was better than that Samick!

5. I've also been looking at the Yamaha BB414 which is selling for $399.00. It appears to be a great bass for the money although I haven't tried one yet.

6. Well, I went the Squier route and ordered a VM Precision Tele Bass. Should be arriving in about 2 weeks. The folks at L & M said that since I was unable to try one before buying (they didn't have it in stock), that I wasn't obligated to take it if I didn't like it. My fingers are itchin'!!

7. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    very good choice!!!

make sure to spend a little extra (like $40US) on having it set up - it turns a good bass into a great bass does set up!

8. svoncampe

svoncampe

Jul 10, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    I am not familiar with Samick but I'm sure it would be OK as would some other brand, but I for one would recommend Ibanez. This is simply based on my own experience. My first bass was the Ibanez GSR200, a great instrument! I paid US$150 back in '04 (currently they run about $200). I too started out playing the acoustic guitar before picking up the bass and have since moved up to the Prestige line of Ibanez basses. I would not hesitate to recommend the lower-end Ibanezes as startup basses.

9. thats a great bass, enjoy it. and if you decide later on you want to uprade you can throw a darkstar pickup in it. and it would sound amazing.:bassist:

10. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    If the Yamaha is within your price reach I'd definitely recommend it over the Samick.

11. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Skip they Samick - they feel cheap IMHO. SX is the way to go, hand down. The woods are all solid and the LTD line have upgraded stuff over their standard line.

Try this one: SX SJB-75 LTD

I seriously don't think you'll be returning it.

12. lowEstring

lowEstring

Jul 11, 2008
    Chicago
    In my experience, a low-quality instrument only leads to dissatisfaction. I'm not saying you need to spend a ton of money, but you should try to get the nicest bass you can if you plan to stick with it.

I've always liked the playability and sound from Ibanez's budget-line instruments. If you're coming from a guitar background, you'll appreciate the thinner neck. I've also heard good things about Peavey's Grind basses, but I haven't played one myself. Not sure what they cost off the top of my head, but I think they're priced reasonably.

Whatever you decide to get, welcome to the low!

13. Well, as I mentioned previously, I've ordered a Squier VM Precision Tele bass so I'll find out how it performs and if I like it, I'll keep it. I'm sure there are quite a few decent budget instruments out there and all would have their specific strengths and weaknesses. If I stick with the Squier, I can always drop a Darkstar or DiMarzio Model One into it at a later time if I hate the stock pickup.

14. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    You've already mentioned popping in new p'ups if you aren't totally satisfied with what you get. If you're open to doing that, the SX is going to cost less than the others you have mentioned and you will likely find them quite usable in a gigging situation with little more than having your local guitar repair center set it up.

I don't know if anyone here has been able to try their SX before they bought it (I don't know if Rhondo has a physical storefront). But I have read very few posts where the buyer had to return their SX.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021