1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First time Booking Tips???

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jollygiantchris, Jul 25, 2012.

1. So yeah. So I started a craigslist band in January of this year and everything is going amazing. However, no one in the band has any experience booking and it seems to be falling to me. If anyone has any ideas/tips/thoughts/comments on booking an original and slightly weird metal band please respond.

Basically heres what I've done.

1. Left voicemails at the bars I want to play at.

2. Emailed the booking at the bars I want to play at.

3. Contacted the few people in local bands I know to see if they need an opener.

Heres what I haven't done and am not sure if its a good idea:

1. Posted an ad on craigslist to book my band

2. Shown up at one of the dive bars that does metal shows and tried to talk to the people in person (not sure if this is considered a no-no or not it might be a case by case type of deal but sometimes people whig out when you show up when you're supposed to call)

Things I'm not sure about:

1. Having only one song posted online should I wait until we get the other 2 that we have decent recordings up before trying to book?

2. Lots of these bars are posting in their email us for booking what sort of draw can you expect. We've never played a show before I KNOW a ton of people and I'm sure they will all tell me they are going and I have no idea how many will ACTUALLY show up so I don't really want to make up a number as my sales background tells me this is a great way to instantly ruin your reputation.

3. We all have really nice day jobs that none of us are quitting so we kinda have to play Fri/Sat/Sun it kinda seems like new bands don't really get to play those slots much even at the smaller venues is it going to take much longer to get a first show because we are stuck doing weekends?

* Worst case scenario I will probably just rent a hall and book my own damn show.

Yeah the music is posted below, feel free to comment if ya like it or don't. The rest of the songs are a lot weirder then the one posted. If anyone needs an opener Chicago/Rockford/Milwaukee/Madison or maybe Indianapolis let me know.

http://desertearth.bandcamp.com/

2. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    Not sure how the metal scene is, but if it's anything like punk(and I think it might be), then I think your best bet for a brand new project with no major booking connections is to hit the local DIY scene for a few shows and get your name out there.

Try to find local basement/hall shows and figure out who's putting them on. Sometimes finding those people can be difficult, sometimes it can be as easy as messaging the guy that created the facebook event for the show. In our scene, its an unspoken rule that if you're going to the DIY shows on off weekends and supporting the other local bands, you'll be given first consideration when new shows are booked. But if you only go to the shows you're playing, then don't even bother asking because they'll never give you a gig.

Renting your own hall, booking 2 other bands that you know will have a decent draw, and putting on your own show is the very pinnacle of DIY btw. It will also get you in good with the other bands you book and they'll be more willing to want to play with you down the road. Expecting to play your first gig ever at a bar might be asking a bit much for an original metal project. Maybe aim smaller and work your way up from there.

3. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    In my experience the best way to get gigs is go to the club in person with a demo and information on your band then follow up with Emails, phone etc.

4. Thanks for the advice. Sounds like showing up isn't an insta-deal breaker and organizing our own show where we open isn't a bad idea either.

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Find the manager. Shake his hand, and introduce yourself. Be nice and personable, and give him a promo packet and your phone number.

6. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Nov 11, 2011
    Plano, TX
    Try some open Mic nights too. That will at least get you some exposure.

7. ryanholmesmusic

ryanholmesmusic

Sep 19, 2007
    -Choose open mics wisely, if at all.
    -A bar gig is NOT beyond your reach, but it will be way better with those decent recordings you mentioned.
    -IF YOU WANT SOMETHING YOU HAVE TO ASK. I live by those words and we're doing well!

8. Yeah agree with the face to face dealings go to the club spend some money buy the owner a drink. Then tell him/her you have heard good things about the club and you are very interested in booking a show with them. Have a promo pack with you and a business card include a good recording of your band playing live.They couldn't care less how good you are in the studio with all the tricks to clean up your act. Lastly you are going to have to throw numbers around that = how many people can you get to come out to see you no following= no gig. And don't BS them with some number you can't produce because you will be done before you get started.