First time building question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DiG, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Hello,
    I'm quite interested in building a bass, and I have a few questions.

1) Is there anywhere I can find an easy step-by-step manual to go by?

2) Where can I buy woods from?

3) What are some less expensive woods/good woods for a first time build.

2. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I was in your shoes not too long ago, but I've learned a LOT here.

-- Step-by-step manual: You may be out of luck... at least as far as a FREE manual goes. Benedetto makes a few books on guitar/bass guitar making. I've never actually purchased or even looked at them. I don't know the website, or even if he has one, but from what I hear, his books are a lifesaver.

-- Where to buy wood: Gallery Hardwoods is THE place to go. They can get you just about any kind of wood you want, and their prices are very good! There website is They have a price list (it's under the "Internet specials" link), but it only lists a small handful of woods.

-- First time wood choice: Alder is about as cheap as you can get. Fender uses alder on just about all of their guitars and basses. Gallery Hardwoods has a 3-piece body blank for $35, unglued. Being a first-timer, I would ask them to glue the pieces for you, otherwise you get the 3 pieces of alder used to form the body blank. They only charge $10 for gluing.

My favorite wood, Padauk, is only $10 more, still unglued. It's a BEAUTIFUL wood, in my opinion, and it finishes nicely. However, it's a tad more difficult to work with than alder. You can see pictures of a bunch of tonewoods at Rampart Guitars website.

I hope this helps!!!
    If possible, post some pics and let us know of your progress. The people here are always anxious to see how things are going.