Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First time building question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DiG, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Hello,
    I'm quite interested in building a bass, and I have a few questions.

1) Is there anywhere I can find an easy step-by-step manual to go by?

2) Where can I buy woods from?

3) What are some less expensive woods/good woods for a first time build.

2. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I was in your shoes not too long ago, but I've learned a LOT here.

-- Step-by-step manual: You may be out of luck... at least as far as a FREE manual goes. Benedetto makes a few books on guitar/bass guitar making. I've never actually purchased or even looked at them. I don't know the website, or even if he has one, but from what I hear, his books are a lifesaver.

-- Where to buy wood: Gallery Hardwoods is THE place to go. They can get you just about any kind of wood you want, and their prices are very good! There website is galleryhardwoods.com. They have a price list (it's under the "Internet specials" link), but it only lists a small handful of woods.

-- First time wood choice: Alder is about as cheap as you can get. Fender uses alder on just about all of their guitars and basses. Gallery Hardwoods has a 3-piece body blank for $35, unglued. Being a first-timer, I would ask them to glue the pieces for you, otherwise you get the 3 pieces of alder used to form the body blank. They only charge $10 for gluing.

My favorite wood, Padauk, is only $10 more, still unglued. It's a BEAUTIFUL wood, in my opinion, and it finishes nicely. However, it's a tad more difficult to work with than alder. You can see pictures of a bunch of tonewoods at Rampart Guitars website.

I hope this helps!!!
    If possible, post some pics and let us know of your progress. The people here are always anxious to see how things are going.