First Time Buyer And I Need Some Help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cisco Kid, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Cisco Kid

Cisco Kid

Sep 27, 2001
    i havent been playing bass for that long so i dont really know the terms to explain everything but basically, i want to get the effect that flea has in sir psycho sexy. ive read it is a phase shifter but my friend has got an envelope filter and they sound pretty similar and today i was checkin websites and the name flanger came up, i was just wonderin which is the best in your opinion and also what are the differences?

2. It sounds like Flea uses an envelope filter in that song but I could be wrong.
  3. ...He uses a Boss AW-2 and DOD envelope filter which are two really cheap one trick ponies, if you want something that will give lots of sounds I suggest you look at one of the higher end filters. But I relieze your a beginner so I suggest the Boss AW as a push in the right direction. Hey it got me started and gives you more to play with then the DOD.
  4. I think he also uses an electro harmonix bassballs too.
  5. no, he was going to use that but he dropped it after it never made the sound he liked again so he ended up using a Boss AW-2.
  6. Cisco Kid

Cisco Kid

Sep 27, 2001
    wow, thanks alot for your help :)
    do u know what the differences between the 3 effects i mentioned before? they all seem along the same lines?
  7. Cisco Kid

Cisco Kid

Sep 27, 2001
    k, might sound stupid but i was just on a site and it says he uses a dunlop 105Q Crybaby bass wah, a Boss ODB-3 bass overdrive, a MXR Micro Amp, and a Electro-Harmonix Q-tron (see pic to the left). Pedals used in the past are DOD FX25 Envelope Filter, Boss AW-2 Auto-Wah, Boss Dynamic Filter, and Electro-Harmonix BassBalls.

is it the boss aw-2 pedal for sure and not the DOD fx25 that he uses in sir psycho sexy? sorry to sound picky, just interested.
  8. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    does he use the AW-2 AND the DOD together? nahh, two envelope filters would sound crazy, band this is a fairly basic sound.
  9. The best way I can think of to figure this out would be to go to a store that has both pedals and try them or ask Flea himself which might be kinda difficult to do, so just try the pedals at a store.