Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First TIme Buyer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the_jh_blues, Jul 8, 2001.

1. the_jh_blues

the_jh_blues

Jul 8, 2001
    PA
    I have just finished saving up money for a bass. I've wanted to play for many many year but upon being invited to join a band ina few months I need to get my hands ona bass fast. But there's so many things too look at. New or Used. Four or Five strings. not to mention the countless brands and susch. I also need an Amp to go with this all. You can see the dilema i'm in. Any advice you coudl offer would be greatly appriciated. thank you soo much.

2. bobaweeka

bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    Yes
    How much $$$ do you have?
    What style of music are you going to play?
    This is just some basic stuff everyone needs to know.

3. First of all.. welcome to Talkbass :D

Buying a new bass is a great adventure.. buy you have to be carefull not to make a big mistake, by buying a bass plainly because " it looks nice "..

Always remember, that you buy a bass to make sound.. so the sound it produces is way more important than the way it looks.

My tips for buying a bass..

1) decide what budget you are willing to spend on the bass ( and keep in mind that you also need to buy an amp, so keep a good limit in mind ).
    2) browse some local stores, and see what kind of basses they have in your price-range.
    3) read the reviews on websites
    4) go to the store, and try all the basses out ( ALL of them )
    5) once you have 2 or 3 of them that sound good to your ears, try them out with your eyes ( the one that looks nice )
    6) try it out once more and if possible try it out again and again
    7) if you're absolutely sure this is THE bass for you.. buy it..

8) with your new bought bass, go shopping for a nice amp.. be sure to bring your bass.. coz a smart salesman will always demonstrate the amp with an expensive bass, that sounds WAY different from the one you have at home..

with the amp, first try to decide how many watt's you want, wether you want 8" 10" 12" 15" or perhaps even 18" speaker, etc etc..

try them all out.. if you come up across a nice amp that seems ok to you.. remember it, and try others ass well. don't buy the first amp you see.. there may be other, Better, amps in the queue :D

Also.. if you happen to have any friends that play bass.. bring them along.. it's always nice to have someone with you with knowledge + neutral advice.

bottom-line : you cannot make a judgement unless you've tried them all.

good luck

4. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Yeah, Allodo is right. Try every damn bass in Guitar Center that's in your price range. Remember that used is ALWAYS an option. I'd say go against the grain and get something other than a P Bass, but thats my opinion.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Log onto Sam Ash. com and get a DeArmond Pilot Pro 5. For $150 there can't be a better deal.