First time buyer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gracey, Jan 30, 2003.

1. I just got hooked on playing bass and am looking to buy my own. I don't really know anything about them but I would like to know what to look for when I buy one. If anyone has any advice for me, I would really appreciate it.
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Read the ESSEX MEGATHREAD. That´s all you need to know.
  3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If you have any music stores near you, try playing as many as you can and see what feels right to you. Then go out looking for a good used deal. If you buy used then there is a good chance you can get your money back if you change your mind.
  4. Gracey,
    Think long and hard about how much money you want to spend. For every $500 or so you can add to your budget, you get that much nicer a bass. Of course you can get a good bass for $500, but compare that to a bass for $2,500. There is a difference.

Some good places for reviews and research are Harmony Click on "reviews" and you can catagorize your search by instrument or even manufacturer.

Once you have your budget lined up, go to a music store and start playing. The more basses you play, the better sense you get of who's got it and who don't got it. Bring a bass player friend to give you the "authority" view point. After a while, you can tell the good basses from the bad basses. What "ultimate bass sound" do you hear in your head? Get the bass that most closely matches that.

Hope this helps.