1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First time buying from someone on talkbass.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AlphaMale, Sep 17, 2008.

1. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    I just paid KAOSBass for a multitrack recorder (Sweet Deal), I can't wait to get it. What have been your guy's experiences with buying over talkbass? Have you done it? Have you considered it?

2. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    No. Never done it ever.

I wait till they give me their mailing address for the money, and then I rob them.

3. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    note the feedback system.

4. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Done it alot. All good experiences. If someone just jointed and has no feedback, i would be wary, but there are ways to do a deal right.

5. LKdubby

LKdubby

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I bought my "first" (Schecter Studio 5) bass from Smurf-O-deth through talkbass.. I'm in Cali and he's in Kentucky.. I emailed him a scanned photocopy of my bankofamerica cashiers check and he shipped the bass. When I received the bass I sent the check to him using FedEX priority overnight.. Everything worked out fine, I love the bass and he got paid promptly! :bassist:

Not all internet transactions happen the way mine did, and I'm grateful that mine went so smoothly with no hitches..

6. LKdubby

LKdubby

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    +1

I had checked out Smurf-o-deth's posts to get a feel for what kind of person he was, and also checked out his feedback rating. In the end I decided I could trust him!

7. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    the classifieds here on TB are one of the most trusted i've encountered. and oh the deals on here!! aside from a few obscure deals on craigslist, this place is my goto for bass-related equipment! this community consists of ppl who are for the most part honest and fair in pricing. at first i was a bit wary, but with the proper measures taken can become a safe and comfortable place to swap/buy gear.

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yep. This is exactly how I feel. I've bought a few items on here, including a one of a kind SX bass off of Joe Nerve that I now dub my boob bass. All transactions were smooth and it's nice to work with fellow TB'rs. Generally, I try to avoid it though. Saves me money if I don't know what's there. :p

9. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I've gotten 95% of my entire gear from this site :)

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Even the folks who are known to be a PITA in OT can be trusted in the Classifieds.

11. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Have bought and sold many things here and haven't encountered any problems.

12. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I've bought and sold basses and effects here with nothing even close to a problem once a deal has been agreed upon. I will generally list things on TB (ans often for a better price) before I put them up on eBay. I ALWAYS use PayPal. Overall, I consider the TB classefields a very safe place to buys and sell stuff.

I even sold something to SpankyPants!! :eek:

;)

13. dmq89

dmq89

Feb 21, 2006
    Selkirk, MB, Canada

+1 (for almost all of my FX and a bass trade - all cross-border!)

The reason I like to deal here is that we're a community - and why would anyone want to make a bad name for themselves on here?

Plus, I have yet to find someone who can't be trusted... There's always somebody I guess, but I have had all good transactions so far!!!

14. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    The classifieds are awesome! Most of the people I have dealt with have been quick in responses, payment, and shipping. the few trades that I have done have been flawless as well. I have had one or two people say they want something, and then they vanish. Oh well. B eing able to trade stuff works very well to because it allows me to try out items without having to buy them outright. I don't like 'em, there back in the classifieds.

Alpha-don't forget to leave feedback. The better your feedback, the more people will want to do business with you.

And Paypal makes the whole thing so easy.

15. I have never sold anything on here, bunch of untrustworthy losers on this site. :cool:

When it comes to internet selling ot buying, TalkBass is actually one of the best places I have found for used gear. Just pay attention to the feedback system and user history.

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Most of my gear comes from this site. I've had TONS of really great deals, both as a buyer and a seller. I've had a few neutral deals, and only one really bad one, but that was several years ago and the said asshat I dealt with disappeared from TB right after he was exposed as a douche.

I'm MUCH more comfortable dealing here than on ebay.

17. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    I've never had a problem.

18. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    I bought all of my basses on TB. Well, all that I currently have, that is.

19. Herrlster

Herrlster

Oct 27, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    I bought a bass and several parts from here. The people are great, even though I'm a n00b when it comes to shipping and buying online, everybody who has dealt with me have been very co-operative and helpful.

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Been good for me so far!