First-time fretless.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alx564, Mar 3, 2004.

1. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Well I've finally done it. Decided to give fretless a try. I got a MTD Kingston Fretless 4 from our very own Dude (By the way he was great to do business with :) ).

I really do love the bass. It looks very nice and simple. The headstock is the greatest though, just jet black with only that little MTD symbol on it and no truss rod access. I was a little surprised at how it sounded at first though. It's strung up with flatwounds and of course its a fretless so it was quite a shock when I first heard it. But of course I've come to like the way it sounds. The passive electronics are real nice. Not too many knobs to fool around with. I have also always liked single pickup basses so that was a real plus. I kind of think of this bass as a minimalist's bass.

I've spent the last two days doing nothing but playing and trying to get my intonation down. Its pretty addicting and definetely really fun. Its a fun challenge to take up and seems to add another dimension to playing the bass. I started going through some Jaco tunes today and they are definetely more difficult. I need to get a nice tuner to check if I'm actually in tune. At least its a lined fretless so I have some idea. I have noticed that playing chords or double stops are a lot more difficult to get in tune.

I attached the only pictures of the bass that I have right now which were taken by the Dude.
  2. Nice looking bass.

Im maybe looking into getting my first fretless soon myself.
  3. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    tahts a nice lookin bass, i wanna try some of them mtds
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Congrats. Ive always loved the bodyshape of those basses...
  5. Congratulations on your bass, looks sweet!

By the way, welcome to the fretless brotherhood :bassist: