Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

first time i heard of one of these

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gruffpuppy, Feb 4, 2001.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    They were mabe in the 70's when Ibanez was making alot of clones, Explorers, Les Pauls, etc. I've never seen a Ric copy but I've seen an explorer & the quality was excellent. It was actually a Korina Explorer copy & I should of boudght it when I saw it!!! I've been told that the Ric copys are AWESOME!!! I've seen em on eBay but they keep grtting pulled due to legal problems w/Ric.

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"...`til the lawyers get involved :p.

Hope this don't bum y'all, but I'm on the side of the lawyers :eek:.
    Whether a completely original design or inspired by an established piece,
    these folks put in a lot of time and effort comin' up with this stuff. Along comes
    the "second-hander" and with no real effort of their own they profit from the design.
    (yeah, I'm a big fan of Ayn Rand ;) ). Ibanez and Hondo seem to be the worst offenders.
    On the other hand, even good ol' Leo (Fender) had to change the headstock design of his G&L's.

Here are some more examples (Aria and 2 Ibanez')...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. I've seen and played a couple of Ric copies from Ibanez from the 70's. IMO every bit as good as the original. But take my opinion with a grain of salt - I hate Ricky's!

Ibanez made all of the original "Lawsuit" copies of Fenders and Rickenbackers. They were and are very good instruments. The reason the Ricks keep getting bounced from ebay is that the sellers are using the name Rickenbacker in the titles. The owner of Rickenbacker (called a real prick by most in the industry) actively seeks these ads out and has them terminated. This guy doesn't even want the term "Rickenbacker Copy" used to describe the bass. It's sort of ridiculous.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

notduane! yer back!

I was missing you for a couple of days! :)

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I'm with Notduane on this one. I remember when these things were common, and they were considered cheap knock-offs then. It's true that some of them are well made, but like notd said, someone else did the design and engineering work, and the "cloners" just took advantage. In the early '80's these things were everywhere. You could walk in to a place like Guitar Trader and find Ibanez's, Tokais, Arias and others, right next to the "real thing." I think Tokai made a Jaco model quite a bit before Fender got around to it.

What I think is funny is that now the "lawsuit" copies are considered collectible. But then, so are EKO's and Teisco del Reys.

Don't those Ibanez Rick copies have bolt-on necks?

6. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Yes Sir! Got my own `puter (and very own email :rolleyes: ).
    Been gettin' things all tweaked: Effie Balconi screen background,
    organizin' zillions of bookmarks, etc.

I've also got my annual case of strep throat or whatever and have been doin' the
    NyQuil - coma - NyQuil - coma thang [​IMG][​IMG] .
    Can't sing for beans but the dogs are VERY attentive (SIT ! , and so on)...

http://www.barbneal.com/wav/addams/yourang.wav
    http://www.barbneal.com/wav/addams/groan.wav

7. I used to own one of them puppies!!! It played like a dream!!! Mine was black with white trim.I bought it used.The former owner replaced the"stock" ric pickup with a fender jazz in the bridge position,it had a real cool punchy tone.I really really miss that bass.
    So the owner of Rickenbacker is a sue happy jerk...hmmm...him and Metallica must have gone to the same party together. Poo on them!!!!