1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First Time Modifier...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, May 6, 2006.

1. Okay, so I bought a Peavey Grind NTB, and the previous owner had installed EMG DCs and a two-band preamp to accompany it. However, the bass is wired up with two seperate volume switches, and a stacked bass/treble pot. Which leaves a fourth unused knob.

My idea was to rewire the bass as volume, blend, passive tone, (w/ active/passive push/pull) and keep the stacked bass/treble.

I went to a local store that is trying to rip off alot of players as of late, (especially new ones [which just disgusts me] ) to get an estimate. The guy said $100 to rewire it all parts included. However, there is a month waiting list.

His price turned me off from that shop.

So, my question is, what would I need (and maybe a rough estimate) to convert from my setup, to the desired one, whilst doing it myself?

Also, if anyone knows where I can buy two EMG style knobs, I greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
    -Ryan.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

By volume "switch" I assume you mean volume pot not a actual switch as in DPDT.

The only EMG DCs I'm aware of are active pickups, therefore, passive anything is not an option if so.

If you just got the bass I would give it at least a month before changing anything. For starters it looks like for what you have in mind, the only thing that's going to change is having a blend. It will sound the same whether you use two volumes or a blend and a volume.

You might give some thought to just plugging the hole with a dummy pot - very handy as a suck knob.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You need a dual 25K ohm blend control (or maybe they use a 50K ohm blend control) plus a 25K ohm tone control and appropriate capacitor as well as knobs.

The pickups themselves are active (have a preamp inside the case) and need power to work...they can't be passive. New EMGs come with passive tone controls.

What you're describing sounds like how Lonny has his LonnyBass wired.

I'll summon the power of the LonnyBass.

You can get parts directly from EMG AFAIK... Look on www.emginc.com

Other parts are available at www.allparts.com

If you have any questions, please ask and if you need inspiration on wiring compartment neatness...find any thread about Valenti basses or visit Nino's site...talk about admirable attention to detail!!!

Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress!!!!

4. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Hey guys, Lonnybass here (thanks BillyB!)

Interesting situation you have there. BillyB is right - the Lonnybass (pictured in my Avatar) was originally wired with an active 2 band bass/treble and a passive sweep. I found that the control was useful in certain applications; namely fine-tuning treble tweaks with tapewound strings.

Recently, I switched out the passive sweep for the EMG Vari-Mid control, a concentric parametric midrange EQ that gives significantly added versatility over the old setup, especially considering that it is on a fretless bass where precise mid control is everything. Why the change? I realized that 99 percent of engineers are taking my sound direct from the pre-EQ stage of my preamp's DI, so being able to dial it in on the instrument is key. Should run about $80 bucks or so. Well worth it.

Lonnybass