1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First Time Modifier...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by deathbloomslife, May 6, 2006.

1. Okay, so I bought a Peavey Grind NTB, and the previous owner had installed EMG DCs and a two-band preamp to accompany it. However, the bass is wired up with two seperate volume switches, and a stacked bass/treble pot. Which leaves a fourth unused knob.

My idea was to rewire the bass as volume, blend, passive tone, (w/ active/passive push/pull) and keep the stacked bass/treble.

I went to a local store that is trying to rip off alot of players as of late, (especially new ones [which just disgusts me] ) to get an estimate. The guy said $100 to rewire it all parts included. However, there is a month waiting list.

His price turned me off from that shop.

So, my question is, what would I need (and maybe a rough estimate) to convert from my setup, to the desired one, whilst doing it myself?

Also, if anyone knows where I can buy two EMG style knobs, I greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
    -Ryan.

...i posted this in the "pickups and electronics" forum the other day, and, just like anytime i post a question there, no answer. Was hoping you guys could give me a little insight?

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    depending on where you live, this is a reasonable bargain ... don't think so, check out what Mike Lull charges for similar work.

as for the parts, you can always check out BestBassGear and/or StewMac, (or any one of the hundres of other on-line parts re-sellers) and total up the parts. I think you'll find that the cost of parts plus shipping will leave the local tech charging you a gross of $20/hr for thier time and expertese.

all the best,

R