First Time On Stage

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BarnacleBassist, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Hey i was just wondering how you guys reacted and felt the first time you performed on stage... I am going to be doing it for the first time on THursday and it will be my first, and i just came back form the rehearsal and it was really nerve racking.. and it was only in front of about 20 people! so i was hoping for some feedback and maybe some advice!

2. I was shamelessly trying to impress a girl, i acted like an idiot, attracting lots of attention to myself and ended up looking like a jerk. My performance was poor to embaressings. The girl was not impressed.

3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I know I feel different depending on the situation. Getting up on stage in a bar room and playing is so easy and natural for me. Getting up on stage in concert halls and such, where the people are stiff sitting in their chairs can be nerve racking for me. My best advice is if you screw up, just forget about it and keep going. If the mistake stays in your head, you're just going to keep screwing up. Also, if you screw up, don't stop. Chances are, if you make a mistake and keep going, the only people who are going to notice it are other musicians, but if you stop, everyone will notice you made a boo boo.
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    If I were you, I'd review that scene in That Thing You Do!-
    The scene where Lenny teases Jimmy about being nervous prior to their gig on national TV.
    That cracks me up...
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There is a big thread on this somewhere. Do a search.

Also, we have an entire Forum called Bass Humor and Gig Stories, which is where I am moving this. Hopefully you will get some more replies down there.
  6. hi
    i have played to about 20 before
    its worst if you know them which it will props be but relax man
    our first gig (check out gigs thread) has sold like 120 tickets so far and thats the first day... argh
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Mine was in seventh grade. The junior high school band gave a concert to maybe a couple hundred people (our families). I was mildly nervous for the first piece, then I slowly came to the realization that, "Hey, this rules!" I've felt the same ever since then.

One of my favorite feelings is the anticipation of hitting that first note on stage. It's a nervous excitement that usually peaks while I'm driving to the venue. Then anything can happen.
  8. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I don't remember my first time on stage... I've been playing infront of people since i was 5, atleast in groups. My first time as a "featured solist" or whatever you want to call it, I remember though. I wasn't that nervous, since I was well prepared, and me and my accompanist (sp?) had rehearsed enough. I think that's the key, go over everything you're gonna do, locate the places that gives you trouble, and practice on them.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I was on stage, and after about 10 minutes, I found my stage presence...which is jumping around like a howler monkey for the set. Of course, in a metal band, this is much more expected and natural that say, a jazz band. But, I'm one of the most active people on stage I've seen.
  10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    know your stuff so well that it becomes "second nature" (whatever the hell that means) so that you won't even have to think about what you'll be doing on stage.

if you have to think about what you're gonna do next during practice/rehearsel, work on it until you don't. 'cuz when it's gig time, and you have to think about what you'll be doing next, you'll most likely mess up.

trust me on this one!

in addition: my bass teacher said to me a year and a half ago that you should subtract 20% off of whatever percent you feel ready. if you're 100% comfortable, you may play 80% when it's show time. 80% prepared, 60% performance, and so on.

and i can never really "get into it" onstage. well, no one came to see me dance, i guess.
  11. my first time onstage with a band, i was perfectly fine, went off with out a hitch. there have been subsequent times when i got the shakes uncontrollably, but mentally i'm not freaking out. it's pretty weird.