Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First time out of the garage

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by jazzbo, Jun 12, 2004.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I've been playing in a 5-tet lately; keys, guitar, trumpet, drums and bass. I always play electric, but just today, I brought the DB. I've been playing about 6 months now.

I had a lot of fun. A really great experience. Only one train wreck, JORDU. Fun song, but that B section was a killer. Moving in fourths shouldn't be too tough I know, but from the Ab to Db can really be a monster for me, a beginner, at such a high tempo. If I shift earlier, from Eb to Ab, it's still really the same shift. So, I'm going to shed that tune a lot, but any pointers that the pros here have are always welcomed.

I'm trying to recall the tunes we did:

- Black Orpheus (went well, no real major concerns)

- St. Thomas (a little fast, we play it swung, but worked out okay)

- Tenor Madness (I got to play the head, that was fun)

- Well You Needn't (went well also, got me a lot of practice in shifting on the Gb)

- Django (still have some problems with the Ab)

- Green Dolphin St. (went well, no complaints)

- Four (okay)

- Footprints (not bad, fun working on that shift up to Eb)

- In a Mellow Tone (pretty happy with that one)

I've got a lot of shedding to do this week.

2. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Good to see you finally came out :smug: . I still have the doors locked, I sound like Kentucky Fried Crap, but working hard at it. Well done bro.

Mike

3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Bravo, JB! Bring that big thang out again!

It sounds like you're playing that Ab on the G string and yes, you have to move to get to Db. But if you play it on the D string (4th finger) you're all set without moving. Ditto if you play it an octave lower on the E string.

Or take door number two, WHERE APPROPRIATE in the musical context around you: Ab D Db x gives you plenty of time to make the shift and (again, WHERE APPROPRIATE) tosses in the ever-so-hip tritone substitution.

Just to say that, while you certainly have to master the shift, there are a million ways to skin that cat.

I've got a lot of shedding to do this life, myself. Have fun . . .

4. As originally recorded, Jordu was not that up tempo.

5. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    All of this can be played in half and 1st position. I'm assuming you're referring to these two bars.

| Eb7 Ab7 | Db7 |

Here's 5 posibilities all in half and 1st position.

| Eb G Ab Gb | Db Eb F Eb |

| Eb Db Ab Gb | Db Cb Bb Ab |

| Eb G Ab C | Db Cb Bb Ab |

| Eb G Ab C | Db F Db Cb |

| Eb Bb Ab Bb | Db Ab G Gb |

6. Let's find out for sure if these are the bars in question. In any event, your examples are flawed, but I don't have time to expound right now.

7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Please do explain what you find flawed about them when you do have time.

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I want to thank you guys for the responses, and the support. At no time, playing with other musicians, on electric or otherwise, live show or rehearsal or otherwise, to a crowd of 500 or to a crowd of none, have I had so much fun, even considering how limited my abilities and flawed the final product. It truly is as if I have found a calling. I'm also grateful to my bandmates for having such patience and confidence in me.

Don, while what you say is most certainly true, remember that I would consider 40bpm up tempo! ;)

Phil, let me get some practice time in and review your examples. Perhaps T-Bal can enlighten us into what he's thinking, but your prior posts here give me the every confidence in your knowledge and abilities.

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Also, I just checked against the 'nome. We're playing Jordu at roughly 200bpm.

10. I assume you're referring to bars 3 and 4. You have to include the downbeat of bar 5 to show what the notes in bar 4 are leading up to (F7). Of the 15 approach tones in your examples, 7 of them create resolution intervals which are generally considered weak. Strong intervals by which to resolve are half steps, whole steps, and P5th down/P4th up. I've colored the offenders red.

1. The Gb in bar 3 needs to be an Ab, C, Eb, or D. Or if you really want to use the Gb there, the next note should be F because the 7th of Ab7 resolves to the 3rd of Db7. In bar 4, you've put an F on beat 3. Out of context, it's OK, but consider the next downbeat is F and you've just given it away too soon. You have to think about the overall direction of the line and this one just meanders. Your line in bar 4 of example 5 gets the job done.

2. Same prob here. Change the Db to Eb, Bb, G, or A. Or if you must use Db, follow it with C (3rd of Ab).

3.&4. Again, the notes in bar 4 are relevant to Db7, but don't give any indication as to where you're going. The best bass lines will tell you what chord you're on, and what chord is coming up next.

5. Replace Bb with Ab, C, Eb, or D.

11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    That's Dr. T-Bal to us ;)

(Did I say DirtyBalls?)

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Take two Bbs and call me in the morning?

13. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Thanks T-Bal for the feedback. Examples 1 and 5 as written don't sound that good to me today and I probably didn't play them before I wrote them, but I still like the sound of 2, 3, and 4 even though the last notes do not set up a strong interval resolution.

14. Righto. BTW, are you aware of this site ? I don't use it myself, but thought it might be of interest.