Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First Time Out! Tips??

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Jan 13, 2006.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I'm recording a demo for the first time that I'll have any say-so.

I plan on using my Spector Legend 5 through my Radial active DI on one channel and then on the other go through my FX board into my Demeter pre, into the 2nd channel.

Ideas? Thoughts? EQ suggestions? I want a pretty thumpy, fat sound as it's just 3-piece but I need definition as I do lots of fills and slides, etc..

Thanks!

2. Sent a signal to the board via a direct box and at the same time send a second signal to the board using an amp that is mic'd.

You will get a FAT sound. That is a fairly standard way of recording bass for a big sound and more control in the mix.

Have everyone tune up using the SAME tuner.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Always roll tape.

Once, I was asked to play some pretty quick unison lines(I shedded the part for 2-3 days...it was still 50/50 whether I could nail it).
    Anyway, the night of the overdub, I ask for a run through...as in, 'Don't roll the tape'.
    Needless to say, I nail it & it's not recorded. After takes 5-6, I give up & TMK, the tune was scrapped.
    ;)