First Time Pedal Buyer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Wild Bill, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    Im in a thrash band and Im in a Heavy Metal band. I currently play a MIM Fender Jazz which has suited my growl taste very well. I need some pedals to supe up my sound a bit. I need a bit more of the booming bass sound and I need some more midrange.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    :cool: :help:
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    maybe an eq pedal then? Boss does BEQ-7, which is a 7 band eq suitable for bass. MXR do a 10 band one. Guyatone do a very small one for bass, called the Guyatone BE-2 bottom eq.
    Be careful before you buy an eq pedal though, many of them have a lowest frequency of 100hz which is really getting into the realms of low midrange. Bass friendly pedals will have their lowest band in the 30hz-40hz range.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Digitech Bass Squeeze could do the trick too. it really beefs up you tone and is very efficient for metal.
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I think the Mesa Boogie VTwin is one of the best pedals you can get for metal bass. It's got three modes, so you can switch it from clean to gritty to insane depending on the song. Plus it's got tubes and it's built like a tank!
  5. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I've got a Digitech BP50 floor processor, and I've been able to increase my mids a lot through some of the settings I've found in there. I dont really use it too much though, because I've been using the Boss DS-1 lately, and it seems to cover all the sides I need in one simple stompbox.
  6. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    Thanks for all of your suggestions so far, Im definetly gonna try these pedals out.
    Thanks again.