1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Time Player

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ttheisen, Aug 31, 2008.

1. ttheisen

ttheisen

Aug 31, 2008
    I started playing Bass guitar 8-2008. I tried an Ibanez (Active pick up) bass and also a Fender Jazz bass. I am just starting out and not sure of what I'm doing, but I'm noticing a buzz/ distoration at higher volumes on the bass or the Amp. When I'm touching anything metal on the bass guitar (strings, jack input, volume controls) the distoration/ buzz stops. I have made sure the ground is good, wired a direct outlet and circuit for the Amp. The buzz/ distoration doesn't seem to occur every where I go, I tried at the store where I purchased it at and nothing seemed wrong. Could it have anything to do with humidity, moisture, or dryness in the room I'm playing at home? Any suggestions?? It's fustrating because I hear it at home but not when I bring it in for repair or to have it checked.

2. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Hi ttheisen,

If the buzz only seems to occur in the room you are playing in, these are the more likely culprits:

1) The outlet in the room you are using may be wired incorrectly, try different outlets throughout the house. If you are using an adapter that converts your amp from three prongs to two, move to an outlet with three prongs and ditch the adapter. It is possible that all of the outlets in the house are wired badly, but this doesn't usually seem to be the case.

2) Are you near computers, fluoresent lights, or anything else that produces electromagnetic frequencies? These can cause electric instruments to buzz as well. Move away from these sources.

Let me know if either of these fix the problem.