1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First time playing OLP MM2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sotua, Jan 26, 2012.

1. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Always wanted one of these but they were in really short supply in this country. Finally got my hands on a natural-tortoise-maple one for a reasonable price, slapped some 6-month old strings I had lying around (the ones the previous owner had were ancient, 5+ years old - my 6 months strings were an improvement in zing but not near as good as new strings) and headed for band rehearsal.

I love it. Never had the chance of playing a MM pickup bass in a band setting, and was pretty much in love with jazz basses. Whoa! I love the way this thing cuts through two guitar stacks in a rock setting. Sometimes too middy/nasal, but ever present and in-your-face. Another first, I found myself actually cutting bass on the amp EQ. Never had done that before! The drummer loved it too, said he could hear what I
    was playing better so we could lock better. Interesting that after being convinced of being a jazz bass guy (10+ years playing only jbasses) I find this blissful tone elsewhere. Can't wait to try it with new strings! So far I don't think I'll be looking for aftermarket pickups or anything... this is hitting the sweet spot pretty consistently.

Anyway, last night I was excited about my tone in a way I haven't in a long time, and wanted to share. :hyper:

2. Congrats on the new bass. The OLPs are great for the money, if they made one with the slimer neck, id own it.