1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First time playing slap bass

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by snowdenwald, Aug 3, 2017.

1. snowdenwald

snowdenwald

Mar 27, 2017
    After watching some videos on youtube, I tried slapping for about 15 min and I already have blood blisters on my pointer and middle finger. Does that mean I definitely did something wrong or is it just normal when you start?

2. TwentyHz

TwentyHz

Apr 9, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Didja watch this one?

Seems that Pete would likely suggest that such injuries aren't necessary, and that there's a better way (at least in his experience), to approach the string.
    Starts talking about it at 3:00.

longfinger likes this.
  3. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Slayer just used a pick.

4. snowdenwald

snowdenwald

Mar 27, 2017
    Yeah I did. I thought I did it like he said but maybe I didn't ^^

5. It seems that having the right kind of low tension strings are essential for a beginner. (Sure it's possible to slap with Spiro Mitts, but's a lot harder and perhaps to hard for a beginner slapper?)

6. snowdenwald

snowdenwald

Mar 27, 2017
    Actually I don't even know what kind of strings I use since it's not my own bass. I just borrowed it and don't know anything about double bass ^^

7. Theo413

Theo413

Aug 6, 2012
    Massachusetts
    I think it's pretty normal to develop blisters when you first start slappin'....until you build up some good callouses. And if you're using steel strings. Switch to nylon if you want to save your fingertips the abuse :D