First time playing with a drumer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Acacia, Nov 20, 2000.

1. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    OK, we are getting ready to audition drummers and I am a bit nervous about it. Why? Because I have never played along with a drummer! I was everybody else's drummer for 15 years and now the role is reversed. My sense of rythm and timing is good (playing drums for so long helped!). It's just going to be a new, different experience for me.

We'll see.
  2. I'd say you are in a good spot, because having played drums yourself for so long, you'll know exactly what to look for when trying out drummers. You'll know who's good and who's not. You might see or hear things in a drummer's playing that others would miss.
    Good luck!
    And if you end up rejecting any good drummers, send them my way!
  3. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    sheesh, i spelled "drummer" wrong.

Dave, I dropped a practice tape off to a guy yesterday. He had a nice set up and I didn't ask him to play, I'll wait till he comes and does an actual tryout. What scares me is that his #1 fave drummer is Mike Portnuoy (Dream Theater) and his set-up reflects it. All we need is a solid drummer, not a busy-Mr. Phll(fill)-type of drum god, know what I mean? I let him know and he seemed cool with the idea. :)

I shall keey ya posted. Listen to those CDs yet?
  4. Hey Sean!! Remember when parents would say,"I hope you have kids someday and I hope they turn out like you." Ha! Ha!
    Hmmmm...I don't know why I said that.Anyways,You'll do fine if you don't get too critical.Have fun,just think,the other guy has to lug all the drums for a change.He will have more to set up.Sure,you can help and I don't doubt that you would,but you don't have to deal with the hassles that drummers have to deal with.Have a blast dude!!! I'm sure you'll find someone who clicks.Let me know how it goes!!!
  5. Yeah, that might not be a good sign.. you seem to just want to play straight-ahead bass, and if this guy is a Portnoy disciple, you guys might not mesh.. oh well, give him a try anyway..
    Listened to most of the CDs.. pretty interesting!
  6. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Here is a suggestion for auditioning drummers. We auditioned about a dozen drummers for our band. We were looking for someone who could also sing because our last drummer sang. We passed on abvout 4 real good drummers that didn't sing and hired one that was an ok drummer that did sing. We had him come back for a second audition and he seemed to do ok. On our 1st gig we had realized we made a BIG mistake! About every second or third song he would speed up like a runaway freight train. I talked to him after the 1st gig and pointed the problem out. He didn't notice that he was doing it and said it wasn't going to be a problem. After a month and a half we had to let him go. He still refused to see that there was a problem. My suggestion is if you pick out 2 or 3 that you think you like have them play a gig as part of the audition, even if they don't know the songs. I sure wish we would have done that. I swear after 2 one hour auditions with the guy we didn't hear him speed up once!
  7. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Good point! I've made this mistake before and it sure would have helped to hear the player at a gig.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's a few questions for drummers. We've had the same drummer for over 4 years, and I'm really glad. See below.

1. Do you have kit?

2. If yes, do you have something in which to transport this kit?

3. Can you show up?

4. Will you show up?

5. Will you show up before the gig starts?

If the answer to all of these questions is yes, you're hired.
  9. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    The one thing i will caution you about is that this drummer is just that, the drummer. Be careful not to impose your drumming style upon his. If he is a good one, he will quick adapt to whatever style you are playing quickly. And relax give it time to mesh.
  10. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    oh, i am not looking for a carbon copy of me, but i want someone with my drum temperment of usually being able to lock in with the bass player and not making every song a drum solo. That's my main concern.

When Willie Dizon and his band first auditioned me, I nailed the songs, but played them about 3 times too fast out of being nervous. On the 2nd audition, I was fine.

The guitarist told me well ahead of the audition that he wanted Charlie Watts, not Neil Peart. I am telling drummers that I want Dave Holland, not Mike Portnuoy.
  11. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Sounds like your head is in the right place. Good luck.
  12. Hmmmm....I wonder what Dave Holland is doing these days??I bet he might have a dartboard with Scott Travis's picture on the bull's eye!!!Ha!Ha!(laughs like Nelson from the Simpsons).
  13. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Wait until you play and as suggested wait a while before committing to one guy/gal.

The question along with Munji's is " can I spend a lot of time with this person and not want to kill them?"

14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Dave Holland, the bassist!?
    Check out PRIME DIRECTIVE(released this past year with Billy Kilson on cans...they're bad!). :D

...and agreeing with Chris 1X more!
  15. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    sheesh,you also spelled "Mike Portnoy" wrong-twice!

16. One thing i have noticed, Don't try to suggest too much to the drummer, cause after all, they're drummers man. dduuurr. lol Naahh, the drumemrs we've tried seem to get intimidated and freak out. its like "we need a drum role here" etc. Although its good to do that cause if they can't accept or attempt what the band wants, then they aren't right.

Thats my two cents and remember, drum machines rule, at least they don't breathe. lol so there's the common trend between drummers and drum machines.. the no breathing. lol or was that no brains?

17. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm spoiled by having drummers who can & aren't afraid to "propel" the band. If they're a MUSICIAN, everything will work out(translation: are they good listeners or merely pounding away to their own beat?).

The "good" ones are your *best* friend...don't forget that! :D
  18. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    No, Dave HOlland, the former drummer of Judas Priest...
  19. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    dang. oh well. he deserved it. :D
  20. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    dude, ease up on the drummers. that was my role in bands for many many years...Willie, help me out here man!!! :D!