First time playing with other people?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DNE, Apr 2, 2003.

1. DNE

Feb 27, 2003
    I am curious as to how long after first picking up the bass TBers first played with other people.

I first touched a bass three months ago and played with some friends (drummer and two guys playing guitars) last weekend. What a great feeling! I stuck to playing roots of each chord but was pretty amazed at how we sounded together (not horrible- a good standard to set in the beginning).

How 'bout you folks?
  2. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
  3. Ditto. Bought my first bass (a Peavey Fury) and jammed with some friends at school. I didn't know what I was doing, but it was still fun.
  4. cheeseman

Feb 3, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Same Here. I started playing bass because some friends asked me to, and they already had equipment I could use.
  5. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Bought a bass because my friend could play fade to black on his guitar. Bought the bass, he came over and that is how I started.
  6. Heh, First time I played with other people I played with lets see here... over 60 people. I started bass because I was playing Trumpet in Marching band but I was really struggling along with it and the Band teacher suggested that I start Bass because the band needs a bass player. I got a bass later that day, a 4 string Ibanez, came to the next practice not really knowing what I was doing, but I was taking lessons and by the end of the MB season I was pretty good at it. How about all of your first time playing in front of other people, I had to play in front of 200 people my first time lol. Then at the end of the season I played a tournament at Mile Hi Stadium with over 1000 people watching me :eek: beat that for only your first year playing
  7. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I'm a same dayer. Borrowed a bass on the Friday, worked out some basslines with my brother on guitar. Did my first band rehearsal on the following day. Went to a gospel gig that evening and got taught slap and fingerstyle by a pro bass player (in the bin, pick).
  8. My first time was 2 guitarists a drummer and another bassist covering "Machine Head" by Bush, but being my first time I didn't think there was anything wrond with using my long cord to put my amp on the other side of the drums :meh: that was smart. I was just excited to be playing on stage in front of people. I also learned I was ment to play on stage. No stage frieght, didn't get nervous, felt sick when I woke up but willed myself to not throw up until after the talent show. The second time I thought alittle more about setup...

Metallica is always a good way to get people to pick up an instrument. My personal favorite would be Master of Puppets, but any of the earlier stuff kicks ass
  9. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I dont remember exactly how long I was playing before my 1st jam session with anyone, but if I recall it was within a month. We all (my 2 friends, brother and myself) all got our stuff around the same time, so we opted to learn a few covers and went at them within a month. Oddly enough one of the 2 friends originally bought a bass then and is now a drummer of 13 years. I put him outta a job as a bassist...hehehe
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    A few weeks to a month. I jammed/formed a band with my friends who were all musicians.

And after 5-6 years of playing, I've only NOT been in a band since this October. Other than that, it's been one band after another. I'm kinda enjoying my break.
  11. herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    yea...they get me in the band with out having the bass

then they kick me because i didnt buy it

then my pride was hurt so a friend of mine that stole houses have a bass (later on he told me that he still that from a house...:eek: )sell it to me for 200 us with case and a peavey amp

and then i try to be the fastest bad ass BASS Player in the world and 1 year passed and then a get a really good band that kick the ass of the first guys that let me down

but come one! for mexicans win the money is 10 times harder
    because 1 dollar = 10 pesos and you make 5 dollars an hour and we make 5 pesos an hour

so i have to work a lot for buying my first crap bass for that money