First Time Playing

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassPlayer101, Jul 27, 2001.

1. BassPlayer101

Jul 27, 2001
    I had only been playing bass for about 3 months and this guitar player some how gets me to do a cover of Linkin Park's One step closer (Not a very hard bass riff). Well we practiced for a month! we were doing this for our school talent show. Then the big day came and we set up are amps so you could here bass,guitar, drums, and the singer! Then as we get on stage I watch the @$$ (the guitar player) crank his amp up!
    So I crank mine and forget to turn up the singers volume! So all you can hear is guitar, bass, and drum! I have talked to the guitar player since!!!!!!!!!
  2. man.. that is so low.. :(

I really dislike musicians with a big ego :(
  3. Thats why I would never join a band if it wasn't with people I trusted....mostly cause I'm the lead singer ;)
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Welcome, my friend, to the wonderful world of music.

I believe you have been properly initiated :) !
  5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    So what did you learn???

Always keep the volume on your bass at half during the soundcheck so you can juice it after the Guitar schmuck tries to drown everyone out. Either that or have everyone run through the board and let the sound guy handle the mix.

You should talk to the guy though and find out if he realizes what he did. Get a music teacher to give an opinion on your mix and insist that he keep those settings.
  6. my friends band did that on purpose...ther singer realy sucked. The singer didn't care eather
  7. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    bassists dont let bassists play without volume pedals. If you know anything about guitarists, it is that they ALWAYS try to drown out the bass player (this IS the case with my little brother but ISNT with my best friend :eek: )

So get yourself a volume pedal and set it to 50% at soundcheck and this will never happen again, I say. ;)
  8. BassPlayer101

Jul 27, 2001
    I talked to that guitar player he is still a little D*ick with a BIG EGO! Well I think that I will always have bad things to say abot linkin parks one step closer!
  9. That happened to me once, it turned out okay though becuase the guitarist got lost in the song. Me and my drummer started laughing and we kinda saved the song with just some jamming. While me and my drummer were playing i signaled to the guitarist to turn down, he did, the rest of the show went off without a hitch, it was kinda cool.. our guitarist hasnt turned up since then!
  10. I've had the opposite practice our guitarists have always asked me to turn up, they like to hear a loud bass sound. I'm probably luckier than most folks though. (At gigs we usually play through a sound board)
  11. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    you should have known your fate when you agreed to play that linkin park song.. hehe :p
  12. I don't have problems with my lead guitar... He likes to show off... But he knows when to stop and when to play... But the rhythm guitar who also does lead vocals really likes playing loud and dirty... Drowns out me and my other guitar in the band... When the rhythm guitar gets too loud, the lead guitar will pump his up... My lead guitar thinks its important for the bass to be heard, so does my drummer... But the rhythm guitar is a fan of Metallica... And their bass lines are really low... Nothing like the Green Day me and the lead guitar prefer...