1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

first time refinishing, have few questions.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by FenderBender82, Nov 2, 2010.

1. hi. i got bored with the look of my old MAJ p-pass today and before i knew it i had torn it apart and started sand off the old black finish with my trusty D.A, sander. after i removed most of the paint from the flat surfaces i noticed that fender put some sort of treatment over the raw wood before they painted it, what is this? it comes off easily but i would like to know what i'm sanding and if i should reapply it before i do anything else. also whats a good chemical stripper to use as i am having a hard time with the edges and cutaways and will chemical strippers effect the outcome since i plan on using a transparent finish. so on to finishes, i want something similar to the transparent honey finish that musicman uses, what should i use? what are the best product that are affordable and easy to get my hands on. i'm looking for a very durable finish with a high gloss, what would you suggest? thanks for the help and sorry if i come across as a noob with this stuff, but i am.

2. any help before i do something stupid

3. I used an "Aircraft" stripper on a Washburn poly finish once, and it soaked into the bare wood causing much discoloration. I ended up sanding with a belt sander to get past the ugliness. Be Careful if you are looking for a semi trans finish!!

4. tifftunes

tifftunes Guest

There are a couple of industrial strippers I've used in refinishing good wood in ancient apartment buildings... Should be the same for guitars...

Fender seals the wood with a "clear" sealant, THEN paints. I'm not certain if it's the same for their transparent finishes...

Bix is good for stripping. Use a well ventilated room!!

Personally, I would leave the OE sealant on. It will add to the "vintage look."

As for finishes, I'm not an expert... I'd be satisfied with polyurethane... Slightly yellowed, of course.