1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First time singing!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by *ToNeS*, Jul 1, 2012.

1. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Hey guys.

Read a devastating book, wrote this song about it, decided I would give singing a go, too. I've always wanted to sing. Guitars, bass, drums, no worries, I love them all equally and am reasonably confident on them all - but I could never sing publicly, I would totally die. Anyway, tear me to pieces.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. There were some places you were notably off key, but your voice was strong, very strong the whole way through. In my opinion it is easier to listen to strong and off key than on key and weak.

Is kind of worked for some of the more tortured parts of the tune, but I don't think you'd want to make a career of it;). FWIW I really dig your dark slow sludgy track. I've always liked songs that are really darkly emotional even if they don't drive like crazy. Nice.

It is tough to get honest opinions about vocals. If you want to do me with my sig, I'd appreciate it:D. It's my first serious go-round with trying to get vocals to sound competent as well.

3. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Pretty spot on, I agree. Could you do me a favour and note the parts that are particularly out of key? That'd be really helpful for me. Right now I'm just operating on - I hesitate to use this word, 'cos it sounds fruity - passion. I don't know a damn thing about vocal technique (but I am learning as much as I can). I'm hesitant to get myself a teacher because what I want to do musically doesn't tend to be something a lot of folk can teach (and why I eventually ditched my bass teacher). Maybe I just need someone to show me how to breath and pitch, that's probably the deal.

I'm not sure if this is a compliment or not, but your vox remind me of Les Claypool. Very sort of idiosyncratic and characterful (which I like!), but not "singy." You aren't really pitching, I guess, but that suits your music. What kind of sound are you shooting for?

From a production standpoint, the guitar line in this track is all wrong. It's mixed too high and the line itself gets in the way of just about everything else (especially your vocal narrative). If I was tackling this track, I would mute that thing before I even tried vocalising over it, and come up with something else entirely.

4. It's kind of hard to call you out on it specifically since the song is so dissonant anyway (especially when you lay two vocal tracks in the same space), but on the "I don't feel right anymore" bits, the 'I' and 'anymore' seem flat to me almost every time. You kind of have a tendency to come in and out of key, like you come into a note and then find it or you trail off and bring the note down at the same time, or just miss a note on a short syllable then find the next one. I hope that is specific enough to help. To be clear, it's not, "OH MY GOD THAT DUDE SHOULD NEVER SING AGAIN", but it's there.

Not crappy :cool:. Really I have just a few licks laying around getting played and when they coalesce into a song that I no longer think is crap I try to lay it down. I have never really made a real effort to learn to sing or play guitar, but due to my situation of not planning on finding a gig until my children no longer want to spend time with me, now's the time.

If I write a song that I NEED to really sing on, I'm going to give it a shot, but growing up on grunge and the local version of the same, I don't write a lot of that.

I didn't expect to hear Les as a comparison, I'll have to listen with a different bent.

First things first, I can barely play a six string so coming up with that bit was a challenge:rollno:.

Damn. I always knew that the guitar track kinda dominated, but having just listened to it after reading your critique it really does just HAMMER the rest of the tune. I still think it can fit in without starting over... maybe, but not mixed or EQ'd the way I did it. I may go back and try to mess with it, but I doubt I'll try to lay another track for it.

Thanks for the honesty. It sucks a little, but it's much better than not hearing the truth.

EDIT::: Nope, the way I recorded it would require a significant re-laying down of tracks and screw that; I'm doing new stuff now.

5. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    You will have fun with voice training. It will take a great deal of practice. Was singing for nerds when you were in school, or did you just avoid the opportunity?

6. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Hey, maybe if I ever achieve any kind of hollow fame I can just pass it off as intentional eccentricity and the people will love me even MORE? :D :scowl:

Hmmm, well I tell ya, there were a lot of bits in my track where I was just sort of whispering to start with. I thought I'd try singing those parts instead just to amuse myself, and I think it ended up being much, much cooler. Just a possibly relevant thought.

Damn, man. How did you record it? Surely it can't be that hard. Scrub the guitar track, figure something else. Don't get too down on it, it's part of the process. The amount of pure sh*t that I come up with and then completely delete in embarrassment...

7. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Oh no way, I was a complete nerd. Still am. I'm just hugely self-conscious about singing. I feel so incredibly exposed, like everyone is listening in on all my secrets. :bag:

When I have the house to myself though, I cut sick. You're right: It is fun. There are so many mechanics to consider and even learn, I had no idea. I already have a much greater appreciation for great singers and what goes into making them great.

8. I have a lot of reasons for not fixing it. The biggest is that I am not very fast at it, plus I don't have much time. It took me about 4 months from song conception to throwing that bad boy up on soundcloud. Most of it was recording and re-recording vocals and guitar, because I'm not practiced in those instuments. Plus, more than just that guitar track needs fixed, so I'm going to wait until my creativity is properly stifled on other projects or I learn to get the recording done faster.

Plus, the unmixed recordings are buried about three levels deep in my BR600 and I just don't want to deal with reorganizing that now.

9. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Let me know what you're up to, anyho. I'm gonna follow you on Soundcloud.

10. I thank you and reciprocated.

My god I am a terrible singer :) I tried laying vocal tracks down today that actually involved a little singing and 142 takes later I think I got a usable set :bassist:.

11. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Don't be shy now :ninja:

12. It should be final mixed in a couple weeks tops and I'll upload it then. My half octave range really inhibits my ability to get creative.

13. Or I'll just burn through it in a night and upload, then put it in my sig. There are some small problems with the track, but I don't think anywhere near the problems as the first track.

14. Finally got around to trying to fix that first track. It's a lot better, but still has it's own problems. At some point I'm going to just have to break down and get some better recording gear, but as long as my recordings get better every time I do one, I'll wait to upgrade.

Everything was done with a Valve Jr, Ashdown After Eight cab, and a Samson R11 mic with nothing going DI (you can really hear it on the bass :bag:), so considering that I think it sounds quite good.

www.soundcloud.com/cheapbasslovin/crashing-down-do-over

And for comparison:
    www.soundcloud.com/cheapbasslovin/crashing-down