Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First time string change

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sherman, Apr 6, 2001.

1. Sherman

Sherman

Nov 24, 2000
    I play a Yamaha RBX360 4 string and my top E just broke. I've had my bass for ages and really like the sound its been giving me so far. I play in a pop/rock band and would like a warm sound but with an edge. I dont do too much slapping and popping but would like to start playing chords. What would be the best string choice for me, can anyone help?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

First off, since you seem quite satisfied with the old ones, why not a new set from whomever made them?

But, the E did break, (I don't how you guys do this ;) ), so maybe you'd consider DR Sunbeams. For the chords that need articulation, a thinner set like .040-.95. Since you aren't into slapping or popping you don't need the sparkle of stainless steel necessarily, and Sunbeams are good nickel strings.

If you want to check them out www.drstrings.com (BTW, I'm not affiliated with DR in any way, just a user of their "Marcus" and others).

3. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    I'm with Rick- but I would also suggest Dr lowriders- I've found that they're a bit warmer.
    Slade www.uglybassplayer.com

4. Sherman

Sherman

Nov 24, 2000
    Thanks for your help guys but I still had the factory set on and have no idea who made made them or what they were. The Sunbeams sound great and I think I'll try them.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

slade - I don't necessarily believe all the hype I read about gear, but DR online notes how the Lo-Riders are perfect for slapping appications.

Then again, it's the YMMV thing. Your hands and your gear may get lots of warmth with them.

6. Jman

Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Waterport,NY
    Well if you have had this bass for ages and have never changed the strings before,you should ask for everybody's old strings because I know yours had to be dead "flat".
    If you like that kind of sound maybe try a set of flatwounds.