1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First time sub situation

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by sacreddog717, Oct 1, 2013.

1. sacreddog717

sacreddog717

Jun 20, 2006
    Dublin, CA
    My cover band accepted a gig on a day that I'll be out of town. We have a band calendar and I had my unavailable dates on it a couple months before the opportunity came up. I've always played in originals bands and have never dealt with having a sub come in. How much should I expect to show him "the ropes"? Or should the band worry about that since they scheduled the gig knowing I wasn't available. The sub is a great player and I know he is capable of playing, but we play a some songs in different keys and different arrangements. Just looking for opinions since this is new to me. Thanks.

2. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Sounds like the band went ahead without you even though its members knew you wouldn't be there. Let its other members solve the problem they created. You have no obligation here.

P.S. It's also a lesson that everyone is replaceable.

3. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Zero obligation.

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Zero obligation, but... it might actually be in your interest to form a relationship with one or two players who can sub for you. It would ease the inevitable conflicts that arise when the band wants to sign up for more gigs than you can play. And players who do a lot of subbing often don't want to be tied down to a band, so they aren't really a threat to your position.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    a short email to the sub giving him the heads up of which songs you guys do differently and how could be a really great thing.

+1 to knowing a sub you can trust as a great thing for cover gigs.

hey, get your thing together and maybe he'll call you for a juicy sub gig!

6. Zero obligation!!!

Maybe they want to replace you, and they’re testing the water.

7. sacreddog717

sacreddog717

Jun 20, 2006
    Dublin, CA
    That's pretty much what I thought. I have given him some recording of songs he was unfamiliar with to help the situation. He's the bass player in my brother in laws band and they have a great thing going, so I'm not worried about losing my position in the band. Thanks for the input.

8. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    We have scheduled shows when our drummer wasn't available. (not our current drummer)

We always brought the sub over for ONE practice, and simplified intros and endings based on what he could learn on the fly. Our sub shows were never as good as our real shows, but were always good enough.

9. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I wouldn't feel any obligation ... it's a cover band. If the BL wants to do a gig without me, then have at it. Ironically, I got my current gig by being a sub (about four years ago) ... and the band loved my playing (even though I faked more than half the songs). I became a semi-regular (the regular guy was dealing with out of state issues and was absent for months at a time) and when the regular bassist finally gave notice I got the gig.

I agree that it's not a bad idea to have someone in mind for such things ... someone competent who isn't looking to steal your gig. My guy lives about an hour away, and there isn't enough money in the local gigs here for him to steal it. I pay him out of pocket for his travel, in addition to his full cut of the pay. It's a good incentive for me to make all the gigs, too!

10. jazzbill

jazzbill

Jun 4, 2010
    Richardson, TX
    I missed three gigs with my originals band in August (My unavailability was noted since March). The sub, a well known Texas bassist, came to one of our gigs to hear what we were doing. The band leader gave him a copy of our CD with ten songs. I sent him MP3s of another 18. He had a great time playing the gigs. The band sounded good. And now I have a guy I can call If I need to miss a gig and no one will be upset.

11. I wouldn't bother getting involved unless you're asked.

I do heaps of sub gigs and rarely meet the guy I'm subbing for.

Normally, I just need a song list including what key the song is in, and which version of the song.

12. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
    Its the Band Leaders job to get the sub up to speed.

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This is a perfect answer to me. I AM one of those subs who doesn't want to be tied to a band. And if you were to help me along..... make subbing for you easier...... then I would be more likely to sub for you again later. So, don't hold the guy's hand (he probably doesn't need that anyway). But make yourself available to answer questions or shoot the guy a quick chart via email for different arrangements.

14. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    All good points.

15. Oh okay.

Some of the dates you can’t make aren’t Halloween or New Years Eve are they? :meh:

FWIW IMO, it’s usually best/safest to provide your own sub - a trustworthy friend, family member, etc. ;)

16. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    The cover band gig scene is probably a bit more cutthroat than the classical singing scene, but I found out that other tenors in town could be my best allies rather than competition. We traded gigs/subbed for one another all the time.

17. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    it's the band leader's deal. let them take care of it. if they need your help they'll ask for it.