1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First time truss rod adjust

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cronker, Jun 22, 2014.

1. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    Hey

I have already read the Fender set up guidelines, as outlined in the stickies.
    I have a Fender LH 62 RI jazz, and have major fret buzz above the 12th fret.
    It's obviously the truss rod needing adjustment.
    Question:
    The Fender guide says to turn counter clockwise to give the neck more relief. Does this apply likewise if the neck is a lefty?
    Also, I have had to remove the neck to make the adjustment. Is this normal?

I am newbie to this normally get it down by my guitar guy in town. But I have read so much here about how I should be able to do this myself.

Thanks!
    Cronks

2. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    Truss rod should be the same for lefty. You may be able to get away with just taking the pickguard off to make adjustments. It would be a pain in the ass to keep taking the neck off to make fine adjustments.

3. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    Thanks elBandito, but I did have to take the neck off.
    I took off the pickguard, to reveal that previous owner had perhaps been a smoker (I know the signs!)
    But then I could see the Phillips bolt, but couldn't get to it, so I removed the neck and did it that way.
    I adjusted accordingly.

I did the sight thing down the neck and I think it's twisted rather thank bowed.
    Any advice here would be very helpful.

Thanks
    Cronks

4. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    The neck does not have to be removed.

1. Loosen the strings.
    2. Loosen the bolts so that the neck can be tilted out of the pocket.
    3. Tilt neck out of pocket.
    4. Adjust.
    5. Reverse order of work.
    6. Lather, rinse, repeat if necessary.
    The truss rod nut is most definitely not a Philips head. More damage is caused to these nuts by using a Philips screwdriver than any other tool. A standard slotted screw driver is the tool of choice. Hollow ground blades will fit the nut best.