1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

first time user, long time visitor. Got my first big boy bass MIJ Fender P Bass 551. Amp question

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Empyreal, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Empyreal

Empyreal

Jul 29, 2020
    Started off on a super short scale last October that was never intonated properly, still fell in love with it. Recently came up on a 1985 MIJ PB-551, in a color that suppose to be silver but aged with a greenish tiny. I can’t believe this is how a bass should sound. It’s a amazing considering it 35 years old!!! Feel like I got it for a steal at $470
    Two questions:
    1.)What would be a good amp to get for bed room recordings? Rn I have crate mxb10 got it pretty cheap been making it work. Also the mics I’m about to buy will be the sm57 clones by Pyle.
    2.) is there any other equipment yall suggest to maximize my sound quality? other than technique and playing funky ;) also a drummer :p
    Thanks for any replies!!! Learned a lot from this community.

Attached Files:

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I'm gonna move this to the recording gear forum, you should get more responses there.

In the mean time, if you're planning on doing recordings, I'd highly recommend getting an audio interface (I have the Focusrite Scarlett Solo). I plug right into that, and that connects right to my computer for easy recording. It can also be used for regular playing. You can also use it as a headphone amp, so you don't have to wake the rest of the house while you're playing/recording.

AGCurry and And I like this.
  3. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    No amp or mics at all for bedroom bass recordings. A decent audio interface and an amp simulator plugin would be a good place to start.

Avoid all Pyle gear, it's garbage and not worth a penny.

4. Empyreal

Empyreal

Jul 29, 2020
    Thanks for the input. Going to start plugging straight into my audio interface hoping for the best lol

And I likes this.
  5. rudy4444

rudy4444

Mar 13, 2012
    Central Illinois
    For bedroom playing AND/OR recording?

Fender Rumble 40 gets a lot of praise in the Rumble forum. It's inexpensive, lightweight, sounds great, and has a XLR DI out to feed a PA (or recording interface).
    If you're not recording then you get to experience a great tone in a compact form at a good price point. I have a Rumble 100, but I gig occasionally with it. The 40 is a super choice if you don't need to move a lot of air.

I've never found I liked anything made by Pyle. If you're thinking about a 57 clone I'd highly recommend the Behringer. I've got a couple of their 58 clones and they are an excellent product.

Behringer introduces the SL 75C dynamic microphone: a $20 SM57 clone - gearnews.com

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Empyreal likes this.
  6. revd

revd

Apr 11, 2020
    Before I plug into my interface I plug into my pedals. but the most important of them is the last one, a Pre-amp-DI that gives me an excellent tone to put into the interface (either audio out or XLR). I used to use software in the computer inside the DAW for shaping sound via amp and cab sims such as Amplitube but now that I got my DI (mines a SansAmp BDDI Mk 2) I don't really use Amplitube apart from for FX that I don't have in hardware such as chorus.

I also plug this sane set up into my average quality amp when I wanna jam away form the computer, so my sound is always the same.

Empyreal likes this.
  7. Empyreal

Empyreal

Jul 29, 2020
    So right now I have been plugging my instruments into my sp 404 and going straight into my interface and it is sounding great. Not going to lie I kinda like lo fidelity sound rn cause I can’t afford all that equipment just yet. But I think I can use the limitation to my advantage and maybe produce a new sound and tone (always dreaming of pioneering a genre :p). I’m going to looking into DI rn! I honesty have still been using my $20 amazon podcast mic (condenser mic I believe) I got for Christmas a couple years back, and I think I’ve gotten good enough to engineer the sound to my liking using effects in ableton (eq, dynamic tubing, sat, etc.)

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021