First time with a drummer! Wooh! A bit unexpected...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Katoosie, Feb 24, 2024.

1. Katoosie

Katoosie Bleep-bloopin' thru existence.

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    Oh my God.

@monsterthompson
    @Fuzzbass
    @el murdoque
    (Yes Murdoc, you are still getting tagged despite me telling you about this somewhere else :))

I am not sure what I was expecting but it was better than I thought it would be.
    Holy ----! is a live drummer fun to play with!!! :woot::hyper:

IMG_20240224_165432.jpg

So, for those who might be unaware -

I have recently made a thread where I was happily announcing to the world that I have joined an actual band and that they want me. Cool. There is me on bass, another lady who is a singer and a guitarist/multi instrumentalist.

Okay. A week goes by, they start fishing for people. One. Two, okay. Three. Three new potential members, one gets sick, another decides to come and the third we messaged with after todays' practice.

For today we rented out a small practice spot. I get there together with the singer and not soon after, the drummer and the guitarist joined in.

We talk, get setup etc (I was playing thru an EBS Magni combo) and the drummer starts talking. He is apparently a teacher - cool, I also work at school. He teaches music. Been playing music since childhood. Training since the age of 6, if I remember right.

Oh.

He can play anything and everything under the sun, apparently.

Drums.
    Guitar.
    Violin.
    Piano.
    And who knows what else.

Great.

No pressure whatsoever, a bedroom gremlin such as I can totally match up to a music teacher on my second ever playing-together-with-other-people occasion :bag::bag::bag:

Okay, we start to play the singers originals.
    It goes well, the guitarist fumbles here and there, has to repeat passages a few times, other times I get lost due to his random bursts of melodic solos, throws off the drummer too but we manage to keep it together. We continue to play stuff over and over a few times, a few songs.

I am being used as a human metronome. All eyes on me. The singer and guitarist can't find a beat nor melody (too much whiskey already? I tapped out early) - I begin to tap my foot, start playing and grooving - "That's it! That's the speed!" she says.

"Gotta keep them reigned-in", I think to myself.

We jam, have fun. Drummer hops on an electric guitar, something gets lost. Hops back on the drums.

We play again, this time it's way better. We glue well together. The singer pushes harder, everybody is grooving, the drummer goes all in, so does the guitarist and I - tingles happen, happy smiles, goosebumps - jackpot. We got it :eyebrow: :D

After that we played for a few more hours, then went to a bar and hung out.

Long story short - the drummer wants in and he is coming to practice next time.

So, now we have a drummer! :bassist:

Tune in next time when I tell you how it goes after yet another music teacher joins our little band, a fiddle player... and another guitarist...

I got this :help::rolleyes:

2. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Outstanding!
    [​IMG]

3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Go get it, K.

Nothing beats a good drummer. Well, maybe a good drummer with reliable transportation. But you see what I mean. The instantaneous feedback forced you to sharpen your ears.
    Congrats.

fhm555, FRoss6788, 31HZ and 10 others like this.
  4. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

Sounds like you had a time @Katoosie
    Go get some more of that. It’s so rewarding.
    Can’t wait to hear what happens next.

Wyrdlow, Katoosie, Spidey2112 and 2 others like this.
  5. bwildt

bwildt

Mar 21, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    Playing bass with a drummer is great fun. I pretty much consider bass and drums as one instrument. One without the other just seems to be missing something. Playing with a good drummer that has the same feel as you do is an absolute joy and almost becomes telepathic.

I'm glad you had a good experience.

digmeout, Wyrdlow, Winslow and 5 others like this.
  6. MynameisMe

MynameisMe What will you be remembered for?

Dec 31, 2018
    J'Ville, Florida
    Many times I've pulled the drums and guitarist back together.
    It's a great feeling when the jam is awesome!
    Congrats!
    It will only get better.
    Don't beat yourself up when there are hiccups in the group setting. There are good times and not so fun times.

7. malloybow

malloybow

Mar 10, 2008
    massachusetts
    You have inspired many of us bedroom warriors with your enthusiasm , humility and kindness. I am truly happy for you and thanks for sharing your journey. It does mean a lot. Keep it up please!

8. Maxi Funkl

Maxi Funkl

May 8, 2014
    Earth
    Jamming with others is one the best natural highs available. ENJOY!!!

9. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Troy, MO
    Cool story! Hope the lineup is such that after a few practices everyone can laugh at the occasional screwup, get it back on track, and have mutual fun, nobody feeling picked on. Sounds like you’re well on your way to that already.

MynameisMe, Wyrdlow, Katoosie and 2 others like this.
  10. I love good drummers and playing with them, I am more drawn to drummers than bassists when I listen to music. I have done gigs without drummers but suffer through them (doing the best I can of course). :laugh: My list of favorite drummers who inspire me would probably run out to several hundred, anywhere from Ringo and Charlie Watts, Steve Jordan etc on to the greatest jazz drummers, I especially like subtle drummers who play for the song but can really do complicated fills that don't stick out, in other words they are good enough to make them sound easy. I especially love when I'm used to a drummer and can lock right in with them, it works with some easily and some take time but yes playing bass with a great drummer is really one of my favorite things to do in life. If you're anything like me you just started a lifetime obsession.

11. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    Well.....not the kind of story I was fearing, judging by the thread title, but then again, this as a semi family friendly site.
    Congrats, @Katoosie, that tingle you felt is what keeps musicians playing music.
    A good piece of advice I received from a seasoned pro, early in my playing days, was to always search for a situation where you are the weakest member. This was the best way to quickly improve your skills. When you no longer felt this way, it was time to move on.
    The pressure (if one can truly call it that) of being the small fish in a big pond is the best way to grow to a big fish.
    Best of luck with your project and your playing.

Wyrdlow, Katoosie, Rootbeer and 2 others like this.
  12. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    IMG_20230626_154555.gif

13. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Let me see your war face!
    Kramer_Ahhhhh.gif

14. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Keep on Truckin'!!
    Beatles_Keep On Trucking.jpg

FRoss6788, Lowendtech, 2tonic and 6 others like this.
  15. tb-player

tb-player Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Nothing better than locking in with a good drummer. Congrats on a successful outing. Here’s to many more to come! :thumbsup:

16. red_rhino

red_rhino Currently on Double Secret Probation Gold Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2001
    Over Macho Grandé
    This, absolutely this. Once you got that, everything else just works. Congrats on a successful session. :thumbsup:

17. reno88

reno88 Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Atlanta
    You don't scare me. Work on it!

Spectrum and Katoosie like this.
  18. jimmydean

jimmydean

Mar 14, 2009
    One never forgets their "first time", will I do it right , will I be laughed at , is my rig big enough to do the job , finger or pick.....or both ?

ebo, MCF, 2tonic and 1 other person like this.
  19. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    Lovely story, congrats!:thumbsup:

If they use you as their "metronome" to keep the groove going you've already got THE most important thing a bass player needs! Some people just never learn to keep time. If you've got THAT sorted you've got what it takes! The rest, such as learning different playing techniques or mastering different styles of music, can always be learned by practicing. But keeping a steady groove, that's something you've either got in your bones or not. And you've clearly got it!

This could be the start of a long and wonderful journey for you!!!:)

Wyrdlow, MCF and Katoosie like this.
  20. SunByrne

SunByrne trained monkey Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    Yep, that was exactly my reaction the first time I played with a live drummer, too.

Wyrdlow and Katoosie like this.