1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Time with a Drummer

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by beaglegod, Mar 21, 2009.

1. beaglegod

beaglegod

Jan 6, 2009
    Tommorow may be my first time playing witha real live drummer. I kinda feel awkward since Ive only been playing for 3 months and hes been in several bands and has played for years. Sometimes I feel like maybe Im trying to rush things but from what Ive heard its good for me,so any suggestions before I get silly with my bass tommorow?

Whats the most productive way I can use my time with him?

Man I hope I dont bore him to death.:atoz:

2. derekd

derekd

Feb 16, 2009
    KC
    My suggestion is to dial into his kick drum and play simply, so you can just focus on the groove. Imo, if you do that, you will be fine. Nothing improves our playing like playing with people better than us. Good luck

3. Wot he said, plus, try to have fun with it.
    I was just breaking in a young player tonight and once we got him to laugh he played well and had a good time impressing his girlfriend(He learned an important lesson: "Chicks dig it".

Josh

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    So, how'd it go?

5. beaglegod

beaglegod

Jan 6, 2009
    Well apparently I wasnt taken seriously, he didnt bother playing with me at all when I went by his house, he spent most of his time talking to his friends and eventually after a few hours of tinkering around in his basement where all the equipment is set up I left.

Very discouraging.

I guess Im too new at this to be taken seriously by established musicians, and I kinda understand that a guy playing bass for 3 or 4 months is no substitute for the guys hes used to playing with but somehow it rubbed me the wrong way and I actually found it harder to pick up my bass and practice today. Silly I know but for some reason it discouraged me a bit.:meh:

6. DanAleks

DanAleks Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Mar 5, 2009
    He's probably not that good of a musician.

If he's a strong drummer, he'll be able to carry YOU and the band.
    He didn't want to look bad in front of his friends.

7. woffle

woffle

Mar 26, 2008
    Keep up the practise,when you find your not cutting the cake with other muso's.

practise,practise,practise.

We've all been down that same street.Sometimes easy sometimes hard,all of us had to aquire our exp.

Maybe one day you'll blow that drummer dude right off the stage.Maybe,just maybe right infront of all his FRIENDS.

8. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Find another drummer and in the mean time check out some drum loops on garage band or something, once you get used to playing over those playing with a real drummer is easier IMO.

Also I find there are two approaches to playing with a drummer, playing a bass line or playing a melody/soloing... In my experience Funk and Riffy Metal seem to blur this line the most and make for some really awesome drum and bass jams.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Hey, don't waste a "few" hours doing anything. I suggest that it wouldn't be out of line to ask after about 10 minutes, "When are we going to jam?".

If it didn't happen in the next 5 minutes, I would have left.

The was talking to his friends and tinkering around. Seems that he knows less than you do. For him to have you hanging around somehow stroked his ego. Not cool:ninja:

Forget this guy and move on.

Practice, practice, practice.....you'll find someone else to jam with.

Good luck.

10. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    You just happen to run into an A-hole, no worries you will find other opportunities just keep playing and keep searching for another drummer. Eventually you will find someone that matches your enthusiasm to play.

11. That guy is a real jerk period. Bass or no bass drums or no drums he is a #$%%$er. I would not bother with someone who cannot be cool, or at least leave a guest in his basement for 3 hours. Let alone not taking music seriously, do you know how much a drum set cost? The guy does not music serious, but he does like to puff his chest. And don't let it taint your next chance.

12. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    That guy sounds somewhat exceptionally pathetic, but stuff like that happens from time to time, it goes with the territory.

Every experience is a learning one though, just like another poster here said, don't spend more than 20 or 30 minutes of your time waiting around, ever. If nothing's happening, ask, and if nothing's still happening then thank them for their time and excuse yourself.

Don't worry about it, you're gonna have some really great experiences too! Some mediocre, and some poor, too. As long as you're always learning from it then it's never a waste of time. So until the next jam session keep practicing and keep rockin'!