1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Time with Active PU's?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doley50, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Doley50

Doley50

Sep 4, 2005
    Hello,

I recently purchased a used Ibanez Sound Gear SR 405 as a back up bass for my American Fender Jazz, as most of you know these two basses do not have much in common. The main differences is the Ibanez is a 5 string with active pick up's, and the Jazz is a 4 string with passive pick up's. While I still need a professional set up on the Ibanez, I wanted to get some feedback on somethings I have been noticing.
    First off I really like this bass a lot, I through going to a 5 string was going to take some getting use to, as far as playability goes, but after a week or so I was use to it, the string spacing and neck width were not a problem at all.
    The biggest adjustment seems to be with the output, this bass has a huge dynamic range and it is just a beast with the gain. ( I mean this in a good way ) what seems to be a little odd is the E and A string are very loud while the D and G seem to be quieter, I realize each string has a different Frequency response,but the strings volume and tightness don't seem to be as even as they should be, the B string is a little hard to judge because it is my first 5 string but it does seem to be louder.
    The question is, do you find the need for a compressor more when paying a bass with active pick-ups and or a 5 string? I have been away from the Electric bass for almost 15 years, I have been mostly playing my UpRight, and I have 20 plus years experience with my Jazz Bass with passive pick-ups, so I know that bass pretty well.
    I realize it needs a set up and probably new strings, that will help, but I am interested to know what you do differently when playing with an active vs passive pick up's, and 4 vs 5 string basses?

Thanks for you help
    John

2. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    Just to be clear, that bass doesn't have active pickups, it has an active EQ. Two very different things... and a very common misunderstanding.

Sometimes (depending on the electronics) there is an output adjustment screw-type -thing on the preamp in the body) I think my Deluxe Jazz had one.

Also check your pickup height adjustment.

New strings are always a great idea too!

3. Adjust the pick up's. Lower them a little bit under the E string, play for awhile, adjust again if needed