Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First time with an 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crud19, Jan 31, 2003.

1. crud19

crud19

Sep 26, 2001
    Missouri
    Kids-

Having been an owner of an SVT-CL for a while now, I was thrilled when the guitarist of my band picked up an Ampeg 8x10 on the cheap. I've only played my amp through a 4x8/1x15 configuration (which I like, don't get me wrong) and I was excited to experience one of the "holy grail" bass set-ups. So I cranked it up, and to be honest, it didn't do too much for me. I usually stand a few feet in front of my amp, with it behind me. Where are my lows? Where is my beloved p-bass "honk"? And while I'm not a crystal-clear highs kind of guy, any sense of treble seemed to have left as well. With the whole band playing (two half-stacks and drums) the whole thing was sort of wet-blanket-ish. Anybody know what I'm talking about? Am I missing something that a million other players love? I always thought I would eventually end up owning one of these cabinets, but now I'm not so sure. (Listen to my back giving a huge sigh of relief)

2. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    One thing I've noticed (in my limited experience) with the 8x10 is that it projects better than my old 4x10. It doesn't have the definition of the 4x10 at 3 feet away, but the 8x10 sounds the same, if not better, when I stand at the end of my instrument cable as it does when I stand right in front of it.

I don't think the 8x10 is meant to be a 4x10 but louder. It is definitely a different tone, but I think its real benefit is its presence. It doesn't really seem louder than a 4x10, its just so much bigger, which, to me, is what bass is about. Tone is obviously a factor, but in my mind, bass needs to be big first and foremost.

3. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    what type of ampeg 8x10 ? svt 8x10e, svt 8x10 hp, or PR 810H .. all ampeg 8x10 enclosure have low frequancy responses between 50-60hz .. with usable low frequancy down to around 30-40hz.
    but i dont think 10's will have as low of a response as a 15, and if those 8's are like the Henry's, then thats mad low. Im not sure about the treble though, if it has a horn than you should have good treble unless your amphead isnt EQ'd for it.
    but im no expert so maybe someone with more bass knowlege can explain better.

4. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    You may just need to experiment with your tone settings. It won't sound exactly like your old setup by any stretch, but I bet you can find a lot of it in there somewhere.

5. crud19

crud19

Sep 26, 2001
    Missouri
    SHIFTGREEN-

It's an older SVT 810-E. Only a single 1/4" input on the back. I was just expecting a whole punch of hit-you-in-your-chest punch, and I didn't get it. Just blah. I'm going to try it again for a couple more practices, and then switch back to my old cabinets. Might A/B them also...

6. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I've only used the CL with the 810 cabinet. However, I have found the way to make it sound the most like my old SWR rig is to set the mid frequency control to 1 and cut the midrange down to around 2. This reduces the low-mid hump that the Ampeg is known for. I don't know if this low-mid hump is specific to the 810 or the CL, or the combination of both. Cutting this frequency might get you back to what you're more familiar with hearing. Use this as a starting point, then shape the tone from there. Also, make sure that the HI switch is in and the LOW switch is out. Ease off on the bass control, because this can muddy things up too.

7. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I have an old Ampeg 810 w/ the one 1/4 inch input jack on the back, too, and when I finally plugged my Ampeg B-1/QSC RMX 850 rig into it the other night it had that knock you flat of your ass tone that I expected. Maybe some of the speakers are malfunctioning or something. I've ordered an Avatar 410 just b/c the Ampeg is so damn heavy, and cumbersome. However, I'm going to keep as it looks really cool and is a good conversation piece. Hopefully I can pick up an abused looking SVT CL pretty cheap and get it sounding good, so I'll have an all vintage Ampeg rig if I ever need it.

Dirk

8. Er0

Er0

Jan 15, 2003
    St Louis MO
    like someone said earlier your just gonna have to mess with your EQ you'll get what you want out of an 8x10

9. I found that it was a very big adjustment going from vented 410's and 15's to a sealed 810 cab. Like everyone else is saying, you will have to play with your EQ quite a bit. My 810 didnt really come to life until I found a vintage svt amp. I think that they sound the best with an all tube head.

10. Yes and no because this is relevant:
    While I've never had eights, I have had the CL along with 15s in combination with other sizes, etc. And like ampegsvtca, I think you are noticing the vented/sealed reality. I thought the 810 made the CL sound better (insomuch as it seemed to be more versatile sounding). Running the CL with ported 15s and such I was happy but not totally satisfied. It had gobs of boom, bottom, and drive....but pairing it with the 810 seemed to give more of something else besides those things.

All of that completely went out the window after plugging into an old SVT. If you like "honk", OH MY GOD! I can't explain why/what makes it different but it will wreck your world. It's also got this unbelievably hypnotic growl gowin' on. Pedalholics think I've got some awesome expensive pedal or something but no, I just plug in. Crazy!

11. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    You may want to make sure all 8 speakers are in phase.

12. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    In my experience with cabinets that have been purchased/sold "CHEAP", there's usually a reason why. The first thing that I'd do would be EXACTLY what Sub suggested, have the speakers checked. All it takes is one bad one to be a source of some really yucky tone.

RB

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Maybe it's a phase issue (which I believe can be checked with a 9V battery)...

...or maybe you simply prefer the tone of 4x8/1x15 to 8x10. It could happen. :)

14. A quick way to check if the speakers are all in phase (ie + and - wired the same way) is to connect a small 9V battery to the jack lead. This should push all the speakers out and confirm that they are wired up correctly....Only hold the battery on for a second or two or you will drain the battery, it wont damage the speakers in any way as long as you dont connect your car battery!!!
    If the speakers are miswired you can get a cancelling effect as one speaker is pushing and another is pullling...May be worth a try but its a good tip anyhow.
    Cheers
    Dave