Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First time

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kaleid, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Kaleid

Kaleid

Feb 27, 2005
    Went to the music store yesterday with the intent to buy one of two Acoustic Bass' that I have seen, a Fender or Ibanez..

They had a used Dean SB-100CE hanging on the wall

So I came home with the Dean.

I know nothing about the Bass guitar and never held one before yesterday.

So I'm on a journey to learn to play, I am a novice/beginner guitar player (about 8 years of goofing around, I know some chords and am good enough to entertain myself) so I have alreay had fun with the Bass.

Any comment, input on the Dean? I havent' found much on the web about it, so I don't know if I got a good deal, if I got a bad deal, if it's a good instrument or not..

I found a ton of info here in the forums, and have printed up some stuff to get me going, thanks for all the great posts!

And one dumb question - the Strap for my Acoustic 6-string is probably too short for the Bass. Should I be carrying the Bass lower than I carrry the Guitar?

BTW, My 6-string is a 1976 Guild D50

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Welcome to Talkbass :)

As for the Dean, I don't have any personal experience, but some searches here on the forums may yield you some reviews and such.

As for the strap, wear it where its comfortable for you, there is no standard that Im aware. Older folks tend to wear em higher for less back straing, but thats about the only trend Ive seen hehe.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I wear my basses and guitars about the same place, but I wear them pretty high considering I'm seventeen. I also add a strap button to the butt of the neck so it balances like an electric as opposed to using the headstock for straphanging.

What model is the Dean ABG?

4. pookeymp

pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    NY/NJ
    I don't have personal experience with the Dean Acoustic Basses, but my son has a 5-string Dean Electric Bass and I own a 5-string fretless Dean Electric. They aren't expensive instruments, but the workmanship in both are very good. The fretwork, the finish, electronics are all very well done...putting it on scale with much more expensive instruments.

If the Acoustics are crafted anything like their electrics, then I'm sure you have a good instrument there.

Mikey/

5. Kaleid

Kaleid

Feb 27, 2005

All I can find is the model number on the label. SB-100CE

6. pil

pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    :rollno: dean must of improved alot since i had one then :bassist: