1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Timer- Flats on a Jazz Bass !

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Fender4Me, Jul 30, 2020 at 4:42 PM.

1. Fender4Me

Fender4Me Supporting Member

Out of sheer boredom, I installed a set of flat Chromes on my '64 Custom Shop Jazz and I think Im in love! So smooth and velvety sounding. First time Ive ever tried flats on a Jazz before. I think Ive been missing something ;)

2. My first encounter with flats was with a set of D'A Chromes (ECB84, 40-60-80-100) on my J-bass. Then I discovered Fender 9050L (45-60-80-100), which are still my favorite flats for my J.

This is just the beginning of your long journey. ;)

3. Fender4Me

Hmm. Now Im wondering of the Labella Deep Talkin Flats would sound even better than the Chromes?? Thats what i use on my P Bass and absolutely love them. The Chromes sound darn good though. Cant seem to put the bass down. Something about flats on the '64 just seems right!

nixdad, jt62 and FishDub like this.
  4. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    I have the Labella low tension flexible flats on a Jazz Bass, and like this pairing very much. I started with a set of GHS flats, aiming for the original vintage 1960s kind of sound, but found the (custom medium gauge) set of GHS flats a little too stiff for my liking. Their light set might be just fine for me, but was curious also to try the relatively new Labella strings. Not too stiff, and good 1960s-esque tone.

I think the standard "non-flexible" Labella flats would be even more 1960s-esque, but I'm content to stick with these for now.

woodyng2, Ggaa and tindrum like this.
  5. uwrossl

uwrossl

Nov 13, 2009
    Huntington Beach
    TI's and Fender 9050's for me when it comes to flats on a Jazz. I never got along with traditional flats on a J personally. TI's take the top spot for me but for something with more tension that still cuts and has some thump the 9050Ls do really well on a J.

6. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    The first time I put flats on a Jazz Bass, I had the same reaction, and there was no turning back. They were Chromes, too, medium gauge. It was around 2004. I've had a total of two sets on there, to date!

GrapeBass and Fender4Me like this.
  7. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    The one set of Chromes I’ve tried found their way on to my J-bass and now I have no plans to ever remove them.

GrapeBass likes this.
  8. La Bella DTFs (760FL) sounded a lot better on my P than on my J. When I tried them on my J, I didn't like them as they seemed to suck the J-bass character out of my J-bass. Fender 9050L seemed to match up with the J much better.

9. Fender4Me

Yep..I used mediums too!

dougjwray likes this.
  10. If you like it, it’s cool. To me, flats on a Jazz defeats the purpose of the Deluxe Model, er, uh
    I mean Jazz bass.

11. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Tell that to the 1968 Larry Graham!

12. Marihino

Marihino

Mar 25, 2010
    London
    If I didn't need that chime of fresh-ish rounds when played with a pick every now and then, even my Sadowsky-equipped Marcus would be wearing flats now. 9050L on my other Jazz are just phenomenal and are perfect for the jazz bass tone, other than the aforementioned bright chime. I've tried some more flats on that bass, but only Fenders seem to preserve the J character while staying versatile. They growl and they sustain, they can thump too if you play them that way.

GrapeBass likes this.
  13. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Flats on my Jazz for years now... That and Barts and I'm in Jazz bass groove paradise.

GrapeBass likes this.
  14. I keep putting TI flats on P basses and PJ basses but I have never yet put flats on a Jazz. No particular reason ... just every time I have a set of flats in my hand and wonder which bass to put them on, my Jazz Bass isn't the one I think of. I'm gonna have to try it one of these days.

15. I go back and forth with flats, the only jazz that I have had flats on consistently is my fretless. Right now I have five basses strung with flats, mostly p basses, so the pendulum is swinging that way right now. Maybe in a year or so it will go the other way, but I’m really liking the sound right now. I’m always looking for different tones, so I never leave stuff alone for long.

Enjoy the different tones. I can’t help but play old Zepplin lines when I am playing my sunburst jazz with flats. It’s just that sound.

EatS1stBassist, dave64o and ELG60 like this.
  16. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

The only bass of mine that wears flats is a Jazz with Chromes too!

Bermuda Ron likes this.
  17. He likes it, so it’s cool. That’s the point, there is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ it’s whatever works
    for you. Keep jammin’ the flats, it’s casual.

MynameisMe, dbsfgyd1 and dougjwray like this.
  18. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I like Dunlop Flats on my J... and a few others, too.

7dollarbologna likes this.
  19. +1 to Chromes on a Jazz. I kept thinking "no, that's so wrong, I should be putting rounds on this thing" but the Chromes are on and sound sooo fine. It adds another colour to that Jazz tone which is delicious.

BradH and Bermuda Ron like this.
  20. FishDub

FishDub Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I think for me it was THE SOUND that was in my head when the Fender 9050s came in for my jazz. But I also think it depends on the music you play. For me, Kenny Edwards, Aston Barret, Tim Schmidt and Deon Estus sold me on a jazz with flats..To each his own..

GrapeBass, ElMon and Funky Phantom like this.