Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First trip to Guitar Center-Cleveland

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    TB'er Cheezewiz had some bucks burning a hole in his pocket, so we took a trip to Guitar Center in Cleveland, OH. yesterday. I had never been to one of these musical superstores, other than a Mars Music which used to be in Toledo. First off, let me say that the stories you hear of the store stocks setup issues are TRUE. I played 10-2 basses, and only about two of them were set up reasonably well. Some of them were downright horrible. I checked out a musicman SUB 5, which I had been interested to see. The setup was SO HORRIBLE you couldn't tell a thing about it. Not a single instrumet I played there was in tune. After hearing so much about Warwick, I tried out a couple of them. The first was an FNA Jazzman, which actually had moldy, tarnished frets and strings. Pretty hard to tell about tone on it due to the strings, but I'd think it would sound okay. The neck IMO was horrible, like holding a baseball bat, and the frets had some sprouting issues that were pretty unnacceptable for a bass tagged $1650. I also played a corvette standard, which wasn't bad. The neck still stunk on it, but it was set up reasonably, and sounded pretty good, especially for a passive bass. In true GC wanker style with warwick in hand, I plugged into the biggest ampeg stack available, and cranked out a few bars of "higher ground". Cheezewiz was so embarassed, he tried diving under amps as to not be seen lol. It's a good thing he missed my 10-15 minute drums solo on the most expensive Rolan V-drum set they had, it was killer.

In their vintage section, they had a pretty nice 78 P, strung with flats of some variety. It played and sounded wonderful, even though it was tuned to C when I first got it off of the rack. Being broke, I didn't snag anything, but Pat got a heck of a deal on a new Stingray 5. I'm not too impressed with the place though, their sales staff were idiots as well. Fun day, and I got to try out a bunch of horribly set up basses.

2. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    I've never been to a guitar center before. Are there any around Boston?

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Tim just about summed it up. I got a good deal on a ray 5, but only because they had obviously had it a long time. The salesman was so unhelpful that I swear he didnt want me to buy the bass. I think he was more worried about his ponytail looking metal enough. Now we ALL know that SR5's come from Ernie Ball with cases, but apparently this one didnt!

Its a nice afternoon's entertainment, (except when your buddy slaps higher ground like one of the off topic forum kids!)

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Which one did you guys go to-the one on Mayfield Road or the one up by Great Northern behind the Wendys?

5. Gabe

Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    One on Commonwealth Avenue I believe. There are other in the area as well. You might try a phone book or, even more effectively, www.guitarcenter.com

6. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I played this sweet X-plore red thingy at my guitar store. I was shopping for a AMP but I fell in love with this Bass instead.
    Good Times

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Bryan..the one on the westside, by Wendys. Its much closer for us, coming from the west.

8. Welcome to Guitar Center.

9. odie

odie Supporting Member

Timmy!!! Music related bro'!!! :cool:

10. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    We have a GC not far from where I live, and I spend more time in there than is healthy. I even know the Operations Manager (that's where you get the good deals!) and can identify most of the staff as local players. The Concord, California store is supposedly one of the top four revenue stores in the chain, but they have, most of the time, the worst selection of gear that you could imagine. Just last month, most of the bass amps simply vanished from the floor and have yet to reappear. When you do find something of interest, it usually is thrashed, ill set-up (if at all), and the strings are so dead you can't get any idea of tone. I was lucky to get to play the two Bongos within a week of their arrival. Nice basses. I weep for their time on the floor. The only functioning rig was a SWR 750X run through an Ampeg 4X10. It was the worst sounding thing I have ever heard. Unfortunately, GC ran most of the local music stores out of business and the survivors make their margins selling Peavey gear. This is how bad stuff gets treated at GC. They had one Eden WT-600 just about forever that was almost demoed to death. I got it on special for just under $500 "as is." On a hunch, I bought that insurance agreement that they were pushing for a while. When I got the unit home and got a good look at it, I was stunned how mauled the thing was. Bent shafts, rack rash, and unidentifiable spooge everywhere. Well, both channels were distorted. I sent it to be repaired under the insurance thing. They had to completely resolder one amp and replace the other. That is thrashed! GC is like a minefield. If you know where you are going and know the quickest route to getting there, it's not so bad. If you are a bit lost or unsure of yourself, watch where you step!

11. yep. gc is terrible. around here, i havent been too dissatisfied, however.

12. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Hello, Volumefiend!
    Where do you get most of your gear? Do you do the loop all the way down to the Showcase and Gelb? I grew up in Lafayette.

:bassist:

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Guitar Center "Explodes" most guitars that come with cases into two pieces, case and instrument. In some cases when you type in an instruments serial number you will be prompted to choose whether you want to "sell is as a set." My guess is that the SR5 wasnt one of these instruments and so they didnt see it there listed as two parts = one piece.

Here's the thing. They take the list price of the set, and they divide the set and break the list price into two seperate smalled list prices that add up to the origional. When you buy it as a set you still pay just about the same amount it just shows up differently.

EX #1: Sale of SR5 bass and case seperate.

1) SR5 - 1200
    2) SR5HSC- 100
    T) 1300

EX#2. Sale of set
    1) SR5 W/SR5HSC- 1300
    T) 1300

I guess they do it since it makes it look like their price is even lower than it is for the same item, but in the end they do have a pricing garauntee so you still win.

Peace
    Nick

PS: DONT STOP PRICE SHOPPING!

Guitar Center's Price Garauntee is extended to 30 days after the purchase! If you find a lower price on the same item you got within 30 days, return to the store and show them this price and they give you a refund of the price difference!

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, and look for online prices as well. At that very same GC in Cleveland, I got $85 off the sale price of a Yamaha PSR-550 keyboard because I found a dealer online with a very cheap price.

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah, though they might not be able to beat an out of state price because of tax sometimes you should still try bringing in the price. There is a good chance they will work it down even below the point of profit just to keep a customer.

Peace
    Nick

16. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks

Since when is a '78 P-Bass vintage? GC is even starting to put '80's basses in the vintage category, and setting ridiculous prices on them! Ugh! Worse thing is, not even a store manager can lower the prices on "vintage" gear; a district manager has to do that. Lame. :meh:

17. Check out Heights Guitars in Shaker Heights, they used to have some beautiful older (i won't say vintage lest i offend) Fenders.

i bought two of my jazz basses (why I do not know) from Sam Ash in Cleveland right around the corner from that GC.

18. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I haven't been to Heights Guitars yet, but I spoke with one of the salespeople. They are now one of the two carriers of Hill Custom Basses, the maker of my custom, and they've got a couple of Hill fivers I'm dying to try out.

19. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    The GC in my area sucks too.

I went there the week before last to check out the Bongo they had there. The setup was so awful that I hurt after playin it for 5 minutes. I mean, the action was so high that if I held down the string at the first fret and where the neck joined the body, I could fit two credit cards between the strings and the frets!

At least the Bongo still had all of its hardware and worked though. They had a Warwick with missing knobs and broken active / passive switch. They had a Pedulla that wouldn't even make a sound (dead batteries maybe?). It hurt to see beautiful equipment in such horrible shape.

20. Not sure I follow the GC bad set up connection. I mean don't they just stock what they get? Does every guitar store "set up" guitars out of the box. Why would a guitar at a GC be any different than anywhere else?