First trip to Guitar Center

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bardolph, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I thought this would be ok in basses since I'm talking about them. Anyway, today I went to guitar center for the first time ever. I've heard their service and quality aren't the best but dang did they have a lot of stuff. Of course I went right to the bass section to try some out. First I tried an ibanez BTB. Very very versatile, nice sound. Then some fender jazzes, pretty good but the strings were so dang old. Then I spotted a warwick corvette fretless, and I had never played a fretless before. So I plugged it into an ampeg 4x10 cabinet and the sound was just incredible. I instantly fell in love with fretless (my intonation was not as bad as I thought it'd be either). After the warwick I walked around a bit and then saw this 1977 maple fretboard fretless stingray on the wall and got somebody to get it for me and I ran it through the same ampeg. HOLY CRAP dude. The tone was absolutely unbelievable. Flatwound strings on a maple fretboard, mmmm. I must have played it for an hour 30 straight. I got plenty of muuah out of it. I now want a stingray more than anything. Well that's my GC journey.

2. That would be better decided when playing in conjunction with fertted instruments. You would be surprised at how off 2 cents can sound!

Good to hear you GC experience was nice for you.

3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah man, glad you had a good experience. The first time I went, was only for like 20 minutes in Las Vegas. The people there didn't talk to me once, but there was nobody there anyway. Probably because it was really really really out of the way. Still I was impressed with what they had.
    The second time was in LA. The guy that helped me out there was cool as hell. And there was some solo guitarist there, and a TON of people, it's the one on Sunset. ;)
  4. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    It is always a frustrating experience for me to go to Guitar Center...the setups on the instruments are usually horrible. I feel like I could shoot an arrow off of the neck there is so much relief. The strings are always way too old, but I can understand how expensive it would be constantly changing them.
  5. I went to the GC in Pasadena one week after it opened.

There were already smudge marks all over the instruments (one of my biggest gripes about GC).

I preferred Mars Music when it was still in business. The atmosphere was more professional, less carnival-like than GC.
  6. You hit the nail on the head Mr Goody Good. There are two Guitar Center stores where I live (Minneapolis, MN USA). Both are definately carnivals when I go there. I also thought Mars Music ran more professional operation. Upon entering either GC store in my area, one is greeted with very loud "background" music coming from the store's sound system. Then there is usually at least one guitar player striving to beat his previous record for playing the most notes per second. Every once in a while, a store employee will ask "'sup, need any help dude? No? that's tight."

Eskimo, it's good you got to try out several basses at GC. Remember to play a bass through a rig as close to the one you own to better evaluate the tone you might hear when taking a bass home.
  7. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I must agree with you Bryan. While I was having a good time playing the basses, the very loud background music and the let's get jiggy with it employees did start to get on my nerves. But the music was rush so it wasn't too bad when I felt like listening.
  8. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Sounds like you had fun. yeh i have hard bad stuff about GC. But this shop i went to in Brighton was horrid. It was cramped and there was a bass that this bloke was playing, he had tried about 3, then he asked to try a stingray and they said "right are you actually go'nna buy this?" Then my mate wanted to play the PRS custom 22 bout £2,000 and they said yes but only if you are going to buy it. Theyt also asked me to take of my jacket that had a zipp on when i tried a bass which i was going to buy that day. But becuase of their rudeness i told them that i decided to give my money to shop that is friendlier.
  9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

It sounds like a decent day out. GC's overhead tunes are obnoxiously loud, but it seems that you've discovered a sound that you like.
    'Hope you can get that bass and make it all work for you!
  10. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    In New YorK City a new GC opened on 14st in Manhattan. I took a trip down there just for sh*ts and giggles. Giggles is what I got! The salesman looked at my facial expression and said "I work here, I hear this All day" I am used to the usual sensless wankery that goes on but there was one kid it particular I wanted to KILL! He was rythmicly slapping on the neck on and on and on. Not one fretted note to be found anywhere. You couldn't tell him he sucked! Everytime a young lady or some guy walked in with his girl the routine started all over again. It took ME to start playing for him to stop. He would leave and come back just as soon as some little cutie walked back through the door. He would come back and start beating on the basses some more. What an *******. It's a shame that the role models for a lot of these young/up an coming bassplayers have not only a poor command of the instrument but forgo being a competant musician for a lot of flash. What a shame.
  11. I wish I had a dime for every time I've walked into GC, and encountered the same thing. I actually feel physically sick when an instrument gets abused.

That's one reason I buy my instruments mail order (but that's and another thread).

But, I have to admit, GC is in a quandary. If they don't allow unrestricted wanking, customers get offended, like Dave Clark 69. Also, today's acne-infested teenage wanker could be tomorrow's junior executive, with purchasing power.
  12. Can't blame them for that at all, I've seen some fine scratches on instruments from being slid across a zipper.
  13. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I totally understand what you're saying about the obnoxious slapping. It kind of puts me in an odd situation because although I'm not a slap-happy freak, I love a nice slap tone and whenever I try a bass I usually like to slap for awhile to get an idea for how it slaps. And people probably think I'm one of "those bass players." Oh well, guess it doesn't really matter that much what other people think. Well... I guess I do it a little bit to impress the girls too :bawl:
  14. Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    I'm boycotting GC. They've tried to take advantage of me one too many times.
  15. I think if I ever get down to the GC in Orange, CT I'll be using it for only one thing: research.

I've heard much about their selection but not too much about their service to customers...

16. fenbull

Oct 31, 2003
    Akron ohio
    I will speak for the customer service for my GC in Cleveland...they are cool this was the 4th bass i tryed and took back under their 30 policy and i never had a question asked. The reps there(Jason F) is cool and alot of help. Since i also upgraded the amp and went to a Yamaha i now have another 30 days to decide if i want it. Try that with mail order...i could take it all back today and say nawww keep it but thanks and they wouldnt make a dime off all my time i spent tn the store.People bash GC..they are there for the average joe and if it isnt for you simply dont go in there...the guys have a hard enough time with the kids and all. Funny thou i seem to see alot of guys in bands and practicing there chops on their gear in there who act like and play like they know what they are doing.
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Some people have all the luck.
  18. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    Just imagine what they do with the products that people return within the 30 trial period - That's right, you're buying them. So, if you like buying used products and paying new price I say, have at it.
  19. fenbull

Oct 31, 2003
    Akron ohio
    Good point...i brought my basses back just like they left the store.I guess you take your chance but any bass i bought there they always offered to order me a new one or see if one in the box was at the warehouse. i even could order colors they did not stock. They also discount basses that are used in the store alot.