1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First 'True' 5+ String 51 P bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by James Hart, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Schecter

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  2. Benavente

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  3. RGW

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Sadowsky

23 vote(s)
    47.9%
  5. Other form or Carrots?

11 vote(s)
    22.9%
  1. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    What is considered the first 'True' 5+ string version of Leo Fender's first production bass?

Schecter's T-5 (circa 2000)
    bass1.

Benavente 51P (circa 2002)
    51s-05. butterscotch-bevavente.

Regenerate Guitar Works (circa 2006)
    51P5wf.
    For Sale by Chef BTW!

Sadowsky (circa 2007)
    [​IMG]

or something else?

for reference... here is what the 1951 P bass looked like
    DSC00651.

2. StrungGutz

StrungGutz Banned

Apr 6, 2009
    Ricky Phillips Fender CS profiled recently in Vintage Guitar Magazine. Pretty recent, sorry no link. It's semi hollow, bound and beautiful!

And it's black!

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I don't recall 51 P basses being semi hollow or bound... is it a 5 string and what year was it made?

4. StrungGutz

StrungGutz Banned

Apr 6, 2009
    I guess it's not 'true', but I think it's your style, James. Neck through, F hole, alder wings, ebony fretboard w/no markers....weird 34" scale. Dual EMG single coils (active of course), volume, a pup pan knob that is notched. Last two knobs are tone for each pup.
    Do a search, you might find a pic. It's a really cool bass, but it's a one off.
    Funny story behind it too.

April 09 VG MAGAZINE

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sounds like one of those Fender Japan "Thinline" semi-hollows, they have a roughly '51-ish body profile and a tele headstock. CS must have custom made him one of those as a 5'er. Did the article say when that was made for him?

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    And as far as the basses pictured so far, the Regenerate would be closest except for the bridge pup, and the Sadowsky would be closest except for the headstock.

The others are very cool in their own ways, but "less true" IMO.

7. StrungGutz

StrungGutz Banned

Apr 6, 2009
    No, but I think he's using it with Styx now. Checker bound like an old Ric. I will try to scan it at work tomorrow. It's pretty neat but not the ideal 'true' Tele bass.

My dream Tele would have a lipstick at the neck an 51 style tilted at the bridge.
    OH! Check out Crook guitars. He's the guy that does Brad Paisley's guitars and I know he built one for his touring bassist.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I googled it... it is a sharp bass!

Ooooo... I could get into a bass like that.

will do! I dig Brad's stuff... amazing guitarist IMO.

9. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    Actually Leo Fender made a Fender Bass V in the 60's...34" scale 15 fret neck with a split p pickup..sorry I don't have pics. It was normally tuned E to C ..the idea was to shift across as opposing to have to go up the neck for high notes. I had one sounded just like a vintage 60's P.

10. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Yes, I'm sure JH knows about that. He's asking about the '51 style, with the slab body, single-coil pickup, tele headstock, and however you would describe that pickguard and control plate.

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    and the Bass V looks nothing like the original 1951 to 1953 P bass. It's a good point, I know Fender has made 5 string basses for years. My inquiry is who made the first 5+ string versions of the 1951 to 1953 P bass? The first ERB nod to the original P bass?

12. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    while the Sadowsky is interesting, it lacks a few key elements to class it as a true '51

- white/b/w laminate pickguard ... a '51 was black, solid white came in '54, and multi-color laminates came in (I believe) '59

- sunburst finishes came in '57 IIRC

- rosewood fretboards were new for '57 IIRC (or was it '59?)

- it's missing a Tele styled headstock, and instead utilizes the later enlarged headstock style popular today

- the control plate lacks the pickguard interface shape of a '51 (it more closely resembles that of a '72 Tele bass)

- this bass also utilize an active pre-amp

IMO it would be more correctly classed as a 'Tele bass' styled build (notice the lack of '51 reference ;) ) built after the bass that was built for Chef

IMO the only thing the Schecter has in common with a '51 is the pickguard shape and control plate

ALL of the basses referenced so far utilize an incorrect styled bridge, but I'm not so sure how you would adapt the dual saddle design into a bridge with an odd number of strings

just my very biased thoughts ;)

all the best,

R

13. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    for reference here's a '51 and '54 body close-up

51vs54TeleP-TopContourDifference.

here a shot of the front (that's a '57 on the right)

TelePs-51-54-57.

and a rear view highlighting the thru-body string ferrules

51vs54TeleP-RearContourDifference.

all the best,

R

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I posted mine but will add the first one Chris Benavente built in 2002 as well... I couldn't find the shot last night.

butterscotch-bevavente.

Black single ply guard
    aged blonde
    maple/maple with black dots
    etc etc etc

adding a preamp to a 51 style is no less a 'mod' than adding a huge soapbar to the bridge position IMO. Plus the overall body / guard shape is closer (actually Chris used a 4 string 51P template for the 5 string versions he's made, just widened the neck pocket). I like the look of the delicate upper horn on yours... but truthfully it looks more like the 1954.

15. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    All of 'em nice lookin' instruments... I voted Schecter. Every one pictured has some difference (other than the B) so not "true" but they all have the vibe... so it's all 'bout the year.

16. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    I don't understand the question. Are you asking which one we prefer?

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

One of these models (or something else I don't know of) is the first "True" 5+ string version of the 1951 to 1953 P bass. I'm curious to see what TBer's think.

While the Schecter is most like the first... I've always assumed that the 2002 and after Benavente were a contender (ok, I do consider my 6 string to be the first 6 string 51). I recently read that some consider the RGW 2006 version to be the first.

18. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The thing is though, as has been mentioned above, all of the ones shown differ significantly from the original beyond just the 5th string. So until somebody comes out with one that is identical to the 51 in every regard other than the 5th string, it's just a game of deciding which ones are "less untrue".

19. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I just bought this Sadowsky Original P-5 #4897..
    http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/view/4897.html
    And I also own this Benavente 51' P-5

They're both really cool..The Benavente I just got back in November and was going to do some mods to it.. When I had it a few years ago I had Chris make build me the new neck because the 5 in-line was just too long.. I also changed the pickups and it's now passive...
    The Sadowsky I just received a few weeks ago and I like it.. I'm probably going to convert it to string thru and may add a bridge pickup like Chefs...
    To me the Benavente is closer to a 51' and the Sadowsky with the body contours is closer to the 54'.. Both really cool and I'm a Jazz bass guy, but I've always loved the look of the early 50's Fenders..

20. StrungGutz

StrungGutz Banned

Apr 6, 2009
    James, you have some cool a$$ basses bro. Wish I had half the scratch it would take to have that blonde Tele 5 w/soapbars you posted.