first tune?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fretless5, Dec 25, 2000.

1. What was the first bass part that you figured out that really made you feel like you could be called a bassist?
    For me it was "Siberian Khatru" by Yes.
  2. I figured out the main riff to Primus/Ozzy "NIB"...A great moment.

Now I'm just figuring stuff out all the time. Well...Weezer and Christmas carols mainly. Some other stuff too though!
  3. Aww jeez, now I feel bad soundofphysics. I'm figuring out "When the Saints Go Marching In" and you do Jaco...<font size="15">Yay...</font>
  4. soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    that's ok you'll get there someday, lol
  5. FuturePrimitive

FuturePrimitive Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    Red Barchetta - Rush

Still working on it though!
  6. Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    minority by green day...
    hey, screw you! it's harder than it sounds!:)
  7. The first song I ever learned was Hitchin a Ride by Green Day. I didnt feel like a legitmate bassist till the day I learned Longview by Green Day and I Wanna Riot by Rancid. That made me happy.
  8. the iceman

the iceman

Nov 27, 2000

Hey cool, I just learned that one too. I like it a lot and I guess it's kind of tricky at first. And I learned Man Overboard by Blink 182----a really really cool song.

I think the first song I ever really learned was "I'm OK you're OK" by Mxpx. It wasn't hard to play or anything, but just the first whole song I learned.
  9. BasketCase

Jan 1, 2001
    Longview - By Green Day
  10. Badfish by Sublime
    Blink 182's a joke...
  11. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    the first song i learned was, ride the lightning from metalica. THe first hard song i learned was free will by rush.

12. i got Longview down perfectly...but i'm not sure about the bassline after the chorus(according to what i see in Talkbass's tablature)
  13. It wasn't so much a single song as picking out large bits of Rush and Yes songs, particularly "Xanadu", "New World Man" by Rush and "Heart of the Sunrise" by Yes. Lots of stuff from the first Boston CD. The first songs I figured out all the way thru were Zep's "Rock and Roll", "The Only One I Know" and "You're Not Very Well" by The Charlatans UK, and "Belong" by REM. All figured out within a few days of each other...back in my first go-around with bass in 1990. I was unemployed for 3 months, so had LOTS of time to figure them out ;)
  14. MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    La villa Strangiato by Rush
    I'm just cleaning up a couple of parts.
  15. The1ManMoshPit

Jan 2, 2001
    I can't rightly remember the first song I learned to play, but I suspect it's somewhere between 'Sweet Dreams' by Marilyn Manson (the guitar part, i mean), or Sunshine of Your Love by Cream. But the song that I learned when I first looked up and said. . .whoah, look at me ma, was probably 'The Awakening,' as re-done by Les Claypool. I had gone through quite a change since my Manson and Blur learning days, and I had even learned some stuff by Primus and Red Hot Chili Peppers (what can I say, stereotypical wannabe bad-ass bassist) that's more technically interesting, but when I nailed 'The Awakening' I think that's when I first really stepped back and said, "damn, there might be something to this whole bass thing after all."
  16. let's see... the first song i learned was Passenger by Deftones... the first song that made me feel i could be a bassist was Santeria by Sublime (not that i like ska but i learned it anyway)
  17. EdgarHons

Oct 14, 2000
    First song I learned was Dazed and Confused....

First song that made me feel like a bass player was Master of Puppets I guess. I was a proud little camper, it was the first song I used more than 2 fingers to pick, so it was quite an achievement.
  18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Abe Laboriel's line from "New Frontier" on Donald Fagen's The Nightfly CD. Certainly not the first line I ever picked out, but definitely one of the coolest :cool:.